Solved Downloading and and Provide an local apt-mirror

Solved issue

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,

like the headline says. I want to make an offline apt-mirror and also provide it via Apache2 there seem to be several possible ways on how to achive it (rsync, apt-mirror ...). Also one could get trigger a blacklist from an mirror like I learned from the past. I never understood how the hierarcy with apt-mirror works.

maybe you can help me on how to properly download a mirror and walk me then to providing the mirror (/var/spool/.. / /etc/apt/sources.list)?

sorry, but I dont understand these instructions :(
Yes, it did seem quite involved, especially with focus on the mirror aspect. When I created a local repo some years ago, it was a much simpler arrangement which avoided a lot of the details evidently now applied.

Maybe this example with clearer steps is more useful to you:

Yes, it did seem quite involved, especially with focus on the mirror aspect. When I created a local repo some years ago, it was a much simpler arrangement which avoided a lot of the details evidently now applied.

Maybe this example with clearer steps is more useful to you:
well, with this tutorial, it's not an 1:1 copy of a debian mirror. I'd like to be able to install all debian packages from a local apt mirror without using the internet. Neither I want to create a repo with new packages.

I'd like to make the following repos for offline usage:

Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org bullseye-security main contrib

well, with this tutorial, it's not an 1:1 copy of a debian mirror. I'd like to be able to install all debian packages from a local apt mirror without using the internet. Neither I want to create a repo with new packages.

I'd like to make the following repos for offline usage:

Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org bullseye-security main contrib
I guess, to achieve an equivalence between a local repo and the debian ones, the creation of the local repo, as described in the link, would need to be populated by all the debian packages from the debian mirrors. That would be a significant undertaking when there are over 65,000 packages.

Otherwise I guess you have to basically mirror a mirror on your system and enter into the methods of doing that so that apt will work with all its capabilities if that is your aim.

Otherwise I guess you have to basically mirror a mirror on your system and enter into the methods of doing that so that apt will work with all its capabilities if that is your aim.
that's what I want to do. But I don't know how

that's what I want to do. But I don't know how
I do admire your ambition. I can only refer you back to the first link in post #2. Essentially it seems to me that to create a full mirror, you would need look into the ftpsync script and go from there. The text specifically warns:

Do not use your own scripts, and do not just use single-pass rsyncs.

Your mirror would normally need to be updated, so the text goes on to say:

Using ftpsync ensures updates are done in a way so that apt does not get confused. In particular, ftpsync processes translations, contents, and other metadata files in an order such that apt is not running into validation errors should a user update the package list while a mirror-run is in progress. Furthermore, it also produces trace files that contain more information that is useful for determining whether a mirror works, what architectures it carries, and where it syncs from.

I guess that wanting the mirror to be offline, still needs ftpsync to get it all up in the first place.

Managing the complexity has been built into the ftpsync script, and that's because the steps involved in the process are involved, so doing it manually in many separate steps is likely prone to error and failure.

If you want something less than equivalence with a mirror for your own site, the text proposes the package : debmirror.

If you want to operate a mirror for your own site only, and you need to carry only a subset of suites (such as stable), debmirror might be a good fit for you also.

I wouldn't underestimate the learning curve in this project.

Last edited:
I do admire your ambition. I can only refer you back to the first link in post #2. Essentially it seems to me that to create a full mirror, you would need look into the ftpsync script and go from there. The text specifically warns:

Your mirror would normally need to be updated, so the text goes on to say:

I guess that wanting the mirror to be offline, still needs ftpsync to get it all up in the first place.

Managing the complexity has been built into the ftpsync script, and that's because the steps involved in the process are involved, so doing it manually in many separate steps is likely prone to error and failure.

If you want something less than equivalence with a mirror for your own site, the text proposes the package : debmirror.

I wouldn't underestimate the learning curve in this project.
I feel like an idiot, normally I search up my problems and work some tutorials trough. Bit ftpmirror is very badly documented... I'd very much apreciate if you'd spoonfeed me on that. I really have no clue on how to use ftpmirror. I am so close to smash my keyboard ...

you could as well tell me: here are the parts, now build me an engine

I feel like an idiot, normally I search up my problems and work some tutorials trough. Bit ftpmirror is very badly documented... I'd very much apreciate if you'd spoonfeed me on that. I really have no clue on how to use ftpmirror. I am so close to smash my keyboard ...
No need to feel that way ... it's rather more of a brave undertaking.

Perhaps have a look here to check out the sort of steps involved. It's from 2013, but looks like it still covers the general process: http://www.linux-admins.net/2013/11/creating-official-debian-mirror-with.html.

Bear in mind that some things may have changed since that time.

Well, chat-gpt did the trick, I made a wiki article about it

Last edited:
Inspired by your efforts, I asked bard how to create a local mirror, and here is the answer:
Code:
how to make a local apt repository for debian
View other drafts

Sure, here are the steps on how to make a local apt repository for Debian:

Install the dpkg-scanpackages tool.

Code snippet

sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev

Use code with caution. Learn more

Create a repository directory and place packages there.

Code snippet

mkdir /path/to/repository
cp /path/to/packages /path/to/repository

Run dpkg-scanpackages.

Code snippet

cd /path/to/repository
dpkg-scanpackages -m . > Packages

Create a Debian configuration file for the repository.

Code snippet

vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local.list

In the configuration file, add the following line:
Code snippet

deb [trusted=yes] file:/path/to/repository ./

Update your apt repository.

Code snippet

sudo apt-get update

Now, you can install packages from your local repository by using the apt-get command. For example, to install the mydeb package, you would run the following command:
Code snippet

sudo apt-get install mydeb

Here are some additional notes:

The trusted=yes option in the configuration file tells apt that the local repository is trusted. This means that apt will not prompt you to confirm the installation of packages from the local repository.
    You can use the dpkg-scanpackages tool to update the Packages file whenever you add or remove packages from the repository directory.
    You can also use the apt-ftparchive tool to create a more comprehensive local repository that includes metadata about the packages, such as their descriptions and dependencies.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

It's untested by me, and my own experience with such mirrors isn't recent enough to evaluate it.
I guess it's like a lot in linux, many means to make margarine.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts