DOS Emulator question

V

VP9KS

Ok, here is a question for anyone who can answer it. I am currently experimenting with the dos emulator. I am trying to run Quicken 6 for dos in the emulator. I got it up and running very well, with one exception. I wish to do the backups from the program to a thumb drive, but I don't quite know how to map the thumb drive. Any ideas out there?
thanks in advance,
Paul

DosBox? Or another emulator?

DosBox is available to run in a flash drive using PortableApps, and if you can install Quicken inside of DosBox there, then that could be your working copy on the flash drive all the time. PortableApps is a Windows application, but it runs under Wine in Linux, or on a Mac using some other tools.

I use DosBox installed direct in Windows and Linux so I can access a very old QRZ callsign lookup program (because it still shows birthdate information). It's really old (16-bit) and Windows refused to run it a long time ago, not even in its compatibility modes. BTW, I run Quicken 2004 under Wine too, but I've not tried to backup to a flash drive with that either... it would also likely be a problem because it wants a floppy disk! :eek:

PortableApps is at http://portableapps.com/

Good luck!

DosBox is available to run in a flash drive using PortableApps, and if you can install Quicken inside of DosBox there, then that could be your working copy on the flash drive all the time. PortableApps is a Windows application, but it runs under Wine in Linux, or on a Mac using some other tools.

I use DosBox installed direct in Windows and Linux so I can access a very old QRZ callsign lookup program (because it still shows birthdate information). It's really old (16-bit) and Windows refused to run it a long time ago, not even in its compatibility modes. BTW, I run Quicken 2004 under Wine too, but I've not tried to backup to a flash drive with that either... it would also likely be a problem because it wants a floppy disk! :eek:

Good luck!
Dude!
Actually the xyl (Betty) got it running last night after I went to bed.:p She set up the path in the quicken program , and it saved the backups to the backup thumb drive. easy peasy! She is running mint cinnamon 17.3 (32 bit) from one flash drive, using the dos emulator to run quicken 6, and using another thumb drive for the backups. She had only 17 spaces for the entire path to the backup, but managed to squeeze it in.:D:D Works like a champ. She is remembering the Dos commands too, so we're havin some fun now. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and thanks for the reply.:):):) I use 2004 also, but it is one of the few programs tha I actually use XP for.o_O:eek:

73 . .
Paul

OK, that sounds great! I wish I could get my wife that interested in computer stuff! :rolleyes::D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family too, Paul. Good catching up with ya!

I upgraded her for Christmas. She was running a P4 661 (3.6 GHZ) with 4GB of ram. :eek: I dropped a new motherboard into her case. It has an AMD FX8370 Black Edition on it (eight 4GHz cores) and 16GB of ram. It screams and howls at the moon. She was somewhat pleased with the improved performance!:):):p:p Yeah buddy! She is running with the big dogs now!:D

73 . .
Paul

Wow! All that firepower, just to run an old DOS program?!?!? :cool::D

Yeah, that is quite an upgrade... I'm sure she is "somewhat pleased" with that!!!!

Cheers!

Wow! All that firepower, just to run an old DOS program?!?!? :cool::D

Yeah, that is quite an upgrade... I'm sure she is "somewhat pleased" with that!!!!

Cheers!
Naw, she likes to run Windows 7:eek::eek:, and the old 661 was just too slow. I like to find ways to get her to use Linux, and that worked fine:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Hopefully I will be able to wean her from Windows some day (wish me luck on that!). I took that old motherboard, dropped a core 2 duo E5800 on it, and replaced a much slower motherboard here in the shack. I'm using it right now. MUCH improved performance. The old motherboard was so slow that I could only run Puppy on it. Now I'm running 32 bit Mint Cinnamon 17.3, and it flies. Hand-me-downs have a place in the food chain too :p:p.

Perhaps I understated how pleased she is just a little bit.:p:p:D:D:D

I haven't been around much of late because of massive amounts of overtime. Last week, I worked 7 days straight, but hopefully I will get a chance to catch my breath in the near future. Always another machine to install, upgrade, or fix!!!!
73 . .
Paul

Last edited:
OK, that sounds great! I wish I could get my wife that interested in computer stuff! :rolleyes::D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family too, Paul. Good catching up with ya!

We both started out way back. When we met, I was using a Commadore 128 with the 1571(5 1/4 double sided floppy) & 1581 (3.5 double sided Floppy) drives, and she had a 128D, which had the 1571 built in, so we had plenty to talk about.;);) The 1581 was the first home PC drive I ever found that could be partitioned. Later we moved up to the IBM platform and learned the DOS command line together. :p:p We found that 2 heads are better than 1, when dealing with interrupts, DMA channels and such in the config.sys & autoexec.bat files. Now, after many years, we are re-learning it together. What fun!!o_Oo_O

Paul

OK, sounds like "love at first byte!" :D

My wife is pretty good with computers, but not that good! I keep nudging her towards Linux but it is a very slow process to get her to see the benefit (a good virus might nudge her faster!). I finally got her to get an Android phone, so maybe there's hope yet. But I guess I'll keep her one way or the other... New Year's Eve is our 30th anniversary. :eek:

OK, sounds like "love at first byte!" :D

My wife is pretty good with computers, but not that good! I keep nudging her towards Linux but it is a very slow process to get her to see the benefit (a good virus might nudge her faster!). I finally got her to get an Android phone, so maybe there's hope yet. But I guess I'll keep her one way or the other... New Year's Eve is our 30th anniversary. :eek:
First BYTE, eh? Very punny man! You should be half shot at sunrise for that:p:p:D:D Happy anniversary to both of you, and give her my best. cherio!

First BYTE, eh? Very punny man! You should be half shot at sunrise for that:p:p:D:D Happy anniversary to both of you, and give her my best. cherio!

Thanks, Paul. And wife says thanks too!

Yes, I crack myself up... even if no one else! :D

Happy New Year!

Good luck!
Sorry, Stan I forgot to answer your question. It is DOSEMU.:):)
ciao for now

So Stan, What the heck is a HOOSIER anyway? Is it a Small crawling animal, like a SNIPE?:p:p I just got home from 8 hours at the salt mine. Double time & 1/2, almost what I'm worth:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);). but not quite!! NYUK, NYUK

Last edited:
So Stan, What the heck is a HOOSIER anyway? Is it a Small crawling animal, like a SNIPE?:p:p I just got home from 8 hours at the salt mine. Double time & 1/2, almost what I'm worth:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);). but not quite!! NYUK, NYUK

A Hoosier? Scientists and philosophers have debated that question for centuries... er, well, maybe one century now. I don't think they are any closer to resolving the mystery though! :confused:o_O:rolleyes::D

Okay on DOSEMU. I have never played with that one, but DOSbox was a miracle to me when it would run that old QRZ CD (the last issue with birth date info from FCC). I used DOSbox to run an old defunct shareware satellite tracking program for awhile too, but that was a long time back. It was a favorite program, called STSPLUS, and we used it to track the International Space Station to make a school contact back in July 2001. Making the ham radio hookup for the kids was a blast, but our contact was at 4:00am local time. Yikes! :eek:

Cheers!

Hey Stan, I finally got a day off!! Now I feel like the dog who suddenly catches the car, then doesn't know what to do with it.:p:p:confused::confused:

I hope you enjoyed that day off.... now, get back to work! :rolleyes:;)

Seriously, I feel for ya' Paul. I'm in the same boat right now, working way too much OT. I think mine will end in 2 or 3 months though and I can get back to "normal" (described variously by my wife, my boss, and some of my friends). Even the holiday pay isn't worth it... I'd rather stay home, when they'll let me. :eek::D

I hope you enjoyed that day off.... now, get back to work! :rolleyes:;)

Seriously, I feel for ya' Paul. I'm in the same boat right now, working way too much OT. I think mine will end in 2 or 3 months though and I can get back to "normal" (described variously by my wife, my boss, and some of my friends). Even the holiday pay isn't worth it... I'd rather stay home, when they'll let me. :eek::D
Man you shouldn't use those four letter words around me!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I was going to ask you to define "NORMAL", but I guess you already have multiple variations on that theme!!:p:p nyuk! nyuk!