DOS Emulator question

I hope you enjoyed that day off.... now, get back to work! :rolleyes:;)

Seriously, I feel for ya' Paul. I'm in the same boat right now, working way too much OT. I think mine will end in 2 or 3 months though and I can get back to "normal" (described variously by my wife, my boss, and some of my friends). Even the holiday pay isn't worth it... I'd rather stay home, when they'll let me. :eek::D
Oh, by the way, I have been using the Lexar 16GB thumb drives for loading mint on, but lately I have noticed that the Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16Gb thumb drives seem to boot to Mint MUCH, MUCH faster. Just an observation that I thought worth mentioning. Someone else may have different results, but there you have it.

Ciao for now

Paul

Yes, I agree that some thumb drives perform much better than others. And SanDisk has been a favorite for me, even though I will still buy others sometimes when I see a good sale. It was in the news late last year that Western Digital was buying SanDisk, so I hope that helps both of the product lines to improve.

Have you tried out USB 3.0 yet? I only have one laptop that has a 3.0 port, but it sure is fast!

Cheers!

Yes, I agree that some thumb drives perform much better than others. And SanDisk has been a favorite for me, even though I will still buy others sometimes when I see a good sale. It was in the news late last year that Western Digital was buying SanDisk, so I hope that helps both of the product lines to improve.

Have you tried out USB 3.0 yet? I only have one laptop that has a 3.0 port, but it sure is fast!

Cheers!
I don't have any but the upgrade that I made to my wife's computer has them.:cool::cool: The only problem is that it won't boot from the 3.0 ports, because they are not native to the bios.:(:( The operating system has to load a driver for them, before she can use them. Dagnabit!!:eek::eek:

I don't have any but the upgrade that I made to my wife's computer has them.:cool::cool: The only problem is that it won't boot from the 3.0 ports, because they are not native to the bios.:(:( The operating system has to load a driver for them, before she can use them. Dagnabit!!:eek::eek:

Yep, I forgot about that. I have to use an external DVD drive to reinstall the system recovery disks, and it won't run the DVD's from that port. It sure took me awhile to figure that out too!

Yep, I forgot about that. I have to use an external DVD drive to reinstall the system recovery disks, and it won't run the DVD's from that port. It sure took me awhile to figure that out too!
Stan,
I was just looking at a USB 3.1 add on card for PCI bus. :cool:I am wondering if that type of card adds their own code to the bios like the old SCSI :rolleyes: cards did. If so, I'm thinking that they may be bootable. Something to think about.:D:D

Ciao for now,
Paul

Stan,
I was just looking at a USB 3.1 add on card for PCI bus. :cool:I am wondering if that type of card adds their own code to the bios like the old SCSI :rolleyes: cards did. If so, I'm thinking that they may be bootable. Something to think about.:D:D

Sorry for the long pause. Work is killing me right now (except they're paying me pretty well for it).

Did you buy/try one of those cards? My guess is that they won't work to make USB 3 bootable, but that's because my guess is that they can't write to UEFI/BIOS. As long as USB 2 ports work it's not a big deal, but the extra speed would be nice if it could be used at boot time. I think about the only hope is to flash a new UEFI/BIOS if one ever becomes available.

I tried a couple of newly updated distros lately: Zorin OS 11 and Linux Lite 2.8. Both are VERY NICE products, but neither would install to my HP UEFI-from-hell laptop, so I took it back to Debian (8.3) for awhile.

Cheers!

Yeah, that is what I was wondering. For example, I have an old Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI interface sitting here on my desk. :eek::eek: This particular one has both SCSI and Ultra wide SCSI on the same board, along with an external ultra wide connector on the back of the card. I have another one in the junk box, and they both add code to the BIOS during the boot cycle to make them available for booting. I was curious to know if the USB 3.1 add on boards did the same thing.:confused::confused: If so, I would think that you could boot from the USB 3.1 ports that were on the card.:D:D HMMMMM! I wonder if that WOULD work with UEFI:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I haven't taken the plunge and ordered one yet, but it is tempting.
Ciao for now
Paul
P.S. Get back to work!!! They pay you way too much HI HI:D:D

Members online