Does systemd start after you choose the linux partition from the GRUB screen?

C

CrazedNerd

This is my idea of how it works, i'm just confirming or questioning it. So after I select "linux mint" from the GRUB screen, then systemd is loaded into the ram and boots linux mint, correct? I was reading about it in "how linux works", and all the other user space initializers.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Short answer is "Yes". :)

You or The Viewers might find this article of interest, or perhaps consider it TL;DR

https://opensource.com/article/20/5/systemd-startup

The author has apparently written it from a background of (Redhat) Fedora, so Debian-based distro users can ignore eg

rhgb (Redhat graphical boot) and grub2 for grub

You could practise it in a virtual machine, or else if you choose to use your daily driver eg Linux Mint, I would advocate first performing a full Timeshift snapshot and store it externally, then you can bail out and restore if things head south.

Cheers

Wizard

Short answer is "Yes". :)

You or The Viewers might find this article of interest, or perhaps consider it TL;DR

https://opensource.com/article/20/5/systemd-startup

The author has apparently written it from a background of (Redhat) Fedora, so Debian-based distro users can ignore eg

rhgb (Redhat graphical boot) and grub2 for grub

You could practise it in a virtual machine, or else if you choose to use your daily driver eg Linux Mint, I would advocate first performing a full Timeshift snapshot and store it externally, then you can bail out and restore if things head south.

Cheers

Wizard
But then how do I have timeshift recording before systemd activates?

I think this is covered by taking/scheduling a 'Boot' snapshot ?...I may well be wrong.

I am quite certain, however, that @wizardfromoz will correct me if that proves to be the case .....

Last edited:
No, Brian, default for Timeshift with a Boot Snapshot is for it to have a delay of 10 minutes after startup before it launches - by that time all the boot process including loading of systemd will have completed.

I am talking about taking an On Demand snapshot while you are in Linux Mint, which is generated by launching Timeshift and then clicking Create.

After that is taken, you are safe to start tweaking systemd in some of the ways described in the article I linked to.

Wizard

I'm getting this, even though i do have an operating system that applies to this parameter:

"The system parition has an unsupported subvolume layout. Only ubuntu-type layouts with @ and @home subvolumes are currently supported.

Application will exit."

I think this is because i have manually partitioned my drives, maybe if i did multiple operating systems with "install alongside ______" with every system installation instead of that...

can't i just accomplish the same thing with the log files? What's the different between timeshift and looking at log files?

That sounds like you have BTRFS checked at the beginning, which is different to EXT4.

Run through the Wizard and make sure you have

RSYNC

chosen.

Wiz

Ah, yeah i think you're right, this is cool anyways, no matter whether it can answer my questions, because it does the same thing as system restore on windows...which is the whole point of what you told me! Wow, aeons less confused...i don't have any idea of how to tweak systemd or why i would want to do it yet, every other problem i've had with linux appears totally unrelated. I have never had a problem getting to the desktop after grub, but i have had a problem with getting to grub which happened years and seems to have been related to video drivers.

Also, here's a note: the timeshift image (is it that?) takes up a large portion of your root file system, 8.8 GB...so it's important to delete until you actual use it for something...and the 20GB size for root as tends to be recommended online may be too small, maybe not: i guess it depends on how crowded your total OS partition is already. My home folder is currently only 2% occupied, and every other FS is between 0-2% occupied...

Save the Timeshift snapshots to an External Drive.

Yes, they can be incredibly space consuming

I only keep two snapshots per month + 1 boot snapshot

My LM 20.3 system is stable enough for just two to be sufficient.

Save the Timeshift snapshots to an External Drive.

Yes, they can be incredibly space consuming

I only keep two snapshots per month + 1 boot snapshot

My LM 20.3 system is stable enough for just two to be sufficient.

i'm very thrilled that i haven't discovered any problems with manual paritioning...installing arch is definitely on my to do list.

Edit: just gonna burn it to a DVD-R since i have so many of those already...it doesn't take up any data. Might as well see if i can just trash my apple cloud account!

Edit: whoops, never mind...about DVDs. The plan is to put it on my fedora partition using USB...

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts