Does anyone here REALLY use slackware as their main OS?

Slack is solid but I would not say great looking out of the box. They will not use gnome and thus it defaults to KDE. But it very stable. And has a learning curve. Give it a try see what you think.
I don't recommend Slackware for a new user to Linux.
Slackware does not do dependency resolution.

I was fortunate 10 years ago. I was trained and taught by a Linux Guru how to run Slackware. What I didn't learn from him I did all of the reading for the package management system on my own. And yes, I agree @kc1di it does have a learning curve that's pretty in depth.

Well, Slackware has latest Gnome (45 or whatever) available. There is plenty of distros that support only one DM/WM. At least Slackware is consistent (vide Endeavour for example). Officially there is KDE, XFC, blackbox out of the box, cummunity suported latest GNOME.
Slackware is relatively small distro, but works well. Very stable e.g. I installed Slackware-current three years ago on this laptop, on previous laptop installed Slackware died with BIOS after four years. I don't dualboot.

Nobody can tell if Slackware is for you but it is easy to test. Hardware issues are common for all Linux distros. If you know how to deal with the issues then Slackware will work for you.
If you don't, just get another distro that may be compatible with your hardware.
The Gnome DE (version 41) for Slackware 15 Stable is in the SlackBuilds repo: :)

In 10 plus years I've never had any hardware issues with Slackware Stable or Slackware-Current.

At worst I had a screensaver issue.

I Started out my Linux journey in 1995 and my first distro was slackware. there weren't many to choose from in those days.
So I have a fond spot for Slack, But alas I've become lazy and use other Distros now Kubuntu at the moment. I also did packaging for vector linux (now dead) Which was based on Slackware. It was a good all round Distro but the Dev's involved just got tired of keeping it current. It had a nice xfce and Kde desktop.

The Gnome DE (version 41) for Slackware 15 Stable is in the SlackBuilds repo: :)

In 10 plus years I've never had any hardware issues with Slackware Stable or Slackware-Current.

At worst I had a screensaver issue.
nope: Gnome 45: Slackware with Gnome 45 and this was 6mos ago. In fact the latest one was Gnome 46Alpha (as of Jan 07th)

no, I am not interested in Gnome but there is Slackware community Gnome project. I am sorry I can't help more.

Staff online