Do I need to specify the user:group in sudoers to impersonate other users

nooneknows2mao

Reaction score
Credits
I was trying to limit the command a specific user can execute in the sudoers file, say I have something like this:

Code:
dummy myserver=(ALL:ALL) /usr/sbin/reboot,/usr/sbin/shutdown

My dummy user is only allowed to reboot or shut down the system. I intentionally allow the dummy user to impersonate other users, but anytime I try using the -u option of the sudo e.g sudo -u anotheruser whoami

I get the following error:

Code:
Sorry, user dummy is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/whoami' as anotheruser on myserver.
I understand I can specifically call out the user and group I want to impersonate in the sudoers, but I am curious as to why the ALL:ALL doesn't work

I would greatly appreciate your answers.

Solved: To impersonate any other user, I would have to specify the allowed commands:
e.g dummy ALL=(ALL:ALL) /usr/bin/whoami

This way, the dummy user would be able to execute that command for any other user.

Solved: To impersonate any other user, I would have to specify the allowed commands:
e.g dummy ALL=(ALL:ALL) /usr/bin/whoami

This way, the dummy user would be able to execute that command for any other user.
Yep - that's what I was going to say.. you want to make sure you put all of the commands in there that you want them to be able to run.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts