Distro Advice for a Newb

Andriko

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I am planning on setting myself up with a Linux desktop option (via a laptop), from an external SSD to begin with, and wanted Distro advice. I want something persistent and high in privacy and security whilst being friendly for a beginner (though I am not afraid of a small learning curve to start with). Preferably with a non-Mac style OS (if it's one where I can set up the UI with a lot of fleixbility, that's great!)

I tried the Distrochooser wbesite, and it suggests OpenSUSE and Mint, which both look like good places to start, but I also find Kodachi an interesting option, but am not sure if that is biting off a bit more than I can chew at the moment.

Would I be best starting with Mint and then branching out to the others? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

A

You won't go wrong with Mint. OpenSuse is Ok but to me it always runs slow on my machines. And Does some things a bit differently. Our own KGIII has a tip here that may help you choose.

SUSE and Mint are both good distributions [mint being the easier for the newbie] both have good support both here and elsewhere, never tried Kodachi but from what I have seen on the net, it doesn't appear very popular or well-supported, it appears to be a distribution aimed at the computer in your pocket, [a persistent pen-drive you can use on any available computer] it comes with a vpn, but there are plenty of those out there if you want to use one

Staff online