Desktop start, then stops, on and off repeatedly, nothing on the screen.

AIC

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, so I made the decision to get a new monitor for my desktop, instead of all the ideas of running my Desktop Linux pc through a separate laptop. When I hook it up and turn on the desktop power, it runs for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, then kicks off. And same thing again, and again. It did that last time I had it up and running, and it straightened out but I can't remember what I did to get it working last time.
Suggestions? :eek:

Unless you're leaving something out, sounds like a hardware issue with either the PC or monitor.

I recently got a new Monitor and didn't get your problem as CrazedNerd says it does sound like a Hardware problem.

Possible causes...Power Supply...HDD failure...loose Cable...Heaps of Dust...CMOS Battery failure and many more...with these problems it's trial and error...I'd check all cables first.
m0103.gif

My Power Supply failed 2 years ago as it was 6 years old that's the first thing I tried. HDD failure speaks for itself. Loose Cables will cause that...be it HDD/SSD cable or DVD cable...loose cable from Power Supply to HDD/SSD or Motherboard or loose Date cable. :rolleyes:

I once had the CMOS Battery fail and I had to replace the battery and reset system time and boot order but this might not be your problem here. It the CMOS Battery fails...you wont be able to boot to the Desktop as all system settings are lost and you'll get a warning to reset...it you don't know how to reset system settings don't touch the CMOS Battery.
t2608.gif

Okay, so I made the decision to get a new monitor for my desktop, instead of all the ideas of running my Desktop Linux pc through a separate laptop. When I hook it up and turn on the desktop power, it runs for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, then kicks off. And same thing again, and again. It did that last time I had it up and running, and it straightened out but I can't remember what I did to get it working last time.
Suggestions? :eek:
As I read your post, it appears you had the monitor running ... "straightened out" ... but it's just that you have forgotten what you did to get it working. If that's correct, then, as you say, you have to do what you did. First you need to make sure the hardware is all connected up soundly as mentioned.

These thoughts come to mind.
Reset the monitor itself to "Factory settings". You need to go into the monitor's own controls to find where you need to choose this option. It's usually under "Management" or something similar. "Factory settings" pretty much assures you that the monitor is in the best condition to work because manufactures usually set the monitors to work out of the box.

What happens if you load a live usb? If that runs on screen, then you may be looking at needing to choose some driver options or firmware for your installed system, but that would be a good outcome and dispel the hardware theory.

If the live usb runs, then it would be helpful if you record the output to:
Code:
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i vga

What exactly would that accomplish for fixing a monitor issue?
It would show which graphics card is in the machine, the kernel driver in use and the kernel module. It may be in this case that the graphics card configuration involving the driver and the module can alter the monitor's behaviour. We are not yet informed of the full story. The OP may have to mount the installation on the machine from a live usb to get the info. It depends.

Too many possibilities, without having it on my bench, some are
loose internal cable connection
ram not working.
PSU on the way out.
Badly seated cpu heat sink.
There are other possible causes, but these are the most common

Too many possibilities, without having it on my bench, some are
loose internal cable connection
ram not working.
PSU on the way out.
Badly seated cpu heat sink.
There are other possible causes, but these are the most common
I totally agree about cable, but if it were RAM related it would probably just be stuck at the splash screen, until it was extremely defective. However, if the whole computer powered off causing the display to shut off then pretty much anything could be wrong with it like you say.

I totally agree about cable,
Looking into my crystal balls if it were on my bench, first I would give it a thorough clean with a can of dry compressed air, then check all the cable connections, then switch on and listen for the PSU fan [if its not working the thermal cut out will be fairly swift] next I would remove the CPU heat sink, clean the CPU and heat sink mating surfaces and use new thermal paste to re-seat it before looking at other possible problems

It's already had the compressed air treatment, but I'll check the other things, thanks so much for the responses!

It's already had the compressed air treatment, but I'll check the other things, thanks so much for the responses!
In the spirit of making the problem worse, its never just air!

I never use compressed air as it contains moisture...I use a small 600w leaf blower...have been using it for years.
m1203.gif

I never use compressed air as it contains moisture...I use a small 600w leaf blower...have been using it for years.
m1203.gif
Lol that's neat actually...however, i want to put in for the technically unknowledgable, the can of air moisture is not harmful for the computer components: it's these industrial chemicals that are very harmful when injested. SInce kids sometimes huff it as a drug (it can cause brain damage or kill them), authorities/stores imposed age restrictions in some circumstances in the U.S. The last time i bought a pack (it was several years ago and i still haven't ran out...) the self-checkout counter asked for my ID.

Harmful for you, not for your motherboard! You can spray the stuff deep into the slots and sockets, pretty neat.

I also use an Anti-Static strap and a brush too.
m1212.gif

As for my Laptop...when not in use it's in a Laptop bag.
m1201.gif

Members online