Dell xps 17 9210 with linux

Rashmandash

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I want to install and use my xps 17 9210 with Linux. I work with belnder, Davincie Resolve and it would be nice to run Steam and games.
I already have some Linux experience. But it's been a while since I've worked with it.

Any suggestion on which distro I should use?

I appreciate all of your's help.

Rash

XPS 17 9210:
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900H der 11. Generation (24 MB Cache, bis zu 4,9 GHz, 8 Cores)
  • Reflexionsarmes InfinityEdge-Touchdisplay mit 17,0" UHD+ (3.840 x 2.400) und 500 cd/m² 1 SR
  • 32 GB DDR4 3.200 MHz, 2 x 16 GB 1 SR
  • M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD mit 1 TB 1 SR
  • Intel Core i9 non-vPro label 1 SR
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM)3060 mit 6 GB GDDR6 [70 W]

Welcome to the forums,
your machine is between 1 & 2 years old, and should be capable of running any distribution, you may benefit however from using a distribution with a more recent Kernel, in which case as a first suggestion MX-linux-AHS has a fairly new 5.14 kernel and includes drivers for most recent equipment, [you will note I do not recommend as only you can decide what is best for you, by giving several different distributions a trial run "live" from a pen-drive]

Thx for your input!

True it's maybe a year old.
I had a USB stick with fedora 36 running. The downside was i never got my graphics card to work. And there was an issue with the audio if i remember correctly.

I will give your suggestion a shot.

Thx so far.

I will post the progress. Or the failure.

Cheers Rash.

The downside was i never got my graphics card to work
if you do decide to give mx linux a try, there should be an "Nvidia driver installer" program listed in the menu that may be able to help get that part working.

I have this exact laptop. Been running Linux on it over a year.

Oh, i really like to hear that. Would you be willing to share some information? Like which distro and such.

Currently Fedora 38, but have ran Alma 9, and Arch on it in the past.

Attachments

• 20230725_112507.jpg
    20230725_112507.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20230725_112514.jpg
    20230725_112514.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 166
I had a USB stick with fedora 36 running. The downside was i never got my graphics card to work. And there was an issue with the audio if i remember correctly.

Pipewire has come a long way since Fedora36. You have the same nVidia card I do.
You can't install it to the USB drive, you'll have to do a real install to the hard drive.
Then enable the rpmfusion repositories, and then your nVidia card will work.

Fedora makes the free space on the USB image too small to install all the nVidia
files.

Thank you guys, I'm going to try Fedora and hope I can make all the settings
to get up and running.

I will keep you updated what i can achieve.

Last edited:
Hi,

so i installed Fedora 38 with no problems. After some reading i could even get may Graphics card working just fine.

I installed Blender, that was fairly easy. But i really struggle with Davinci Resolve. If there is someone how has any information how i can get it to run, please let me know.

Thx,
Rash

Hello @Rashmandash,
Welcome to the Linux.org forums, enjoy!
Fedora should do well.
But as was mentioned you'll need the rpmfusion repositories for the Nvidia drivers and firmware.

Hello,

I want to install and use my xps 17 9210 with Linux. I work with belnder, Davincie Resolve and it would be nice to run Steam and games.
I already have some Linux experience. But it's been a while since I've worked with it.

Any suggestion on which distro I should use?

I appreciate all of your's help.

Rash

XPS 17 9210:
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900H der 11. Generation (24 MB Cache, bis zu 4,9 GHz, 8 Cores)
  • Reflexionsarmes InfinityEdge-Touchdisplay mit 17,0" UHD+ (3.840 x 2.400) und 500 cd/m² 1 SR
  • 32 GB DDR4 3.200 MHz, 2 x 16 GB 1 SR
  • M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD mit 1 TB 1 SR
  • Intel Core i9 non-vPro label 1 SR
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM)3060 mit 6 GB GDDR6 [70 W]
Nice specs, what did you pay for that?

Davinci Resolve is now running.
The main sites i used was :
https://linuxhint.com/install-nvidia-drivers-fedora-workstation-38/#b1
for installing the nvidia graphics
and
for enabling the RPM Fusion Repository

I have a different problem now. I can not play some videos on youtube.
Any suggestions?

Hi Guys,

i solved the Problem with the Videos not playing. I use Chromium and i downloaded it from Flathub not from Fedora Projct.
I found a post - sorry can't find it anymore - and there was someone mention that his Problems where gone as he downloaded it form Flathub. It also worked for me.

Thx for the suggestions.

Another Problem i have now,

i set up another Pc as a server to store all my data. It's on Fedora 38 as well. To find the Directories was not so much of a Problem.
But as i tried to past a File into the Folder i could not.

Storage_Zero works fine but Storage_One and Storage_Two not.

drwxrwxrwx. 1 server server 8192 Sep 8 15:26 Storage_Zero
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 32768 Jan 1 1970 Storage_One
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 32768 Jan 1 1970 Storage_Two

I figured out it has something to do with the Permission. But allways i try to
chmod a+rwx Storage_One
it says
chmod: changing permissions of 'Storage_One': Operation not permitted

So how can i change a permission when i don't have the permission to change it?

Pls, i need a hint in the right direction. I think i'm at the end of the interwebs :eek::eek:.

THX
Rash

Members online