Delay after failed login

K

kNinja

On the mainframe that I used to administrate, there was a way that the system would delay after your 1st login attempt by 1sec, 2nd login by 2sec, 3rd by 4sec, 4th by 8sec and so on. As you can see, this is reasonable setup for legitimate-but-forgetful users and yet aggravated DOS attackers. After a 10th attempt or so, he and/or his script would either abandon the hack, or we would be able to trace him out, or a honey pot could be in place for him to land on.

In Linux world is there a module that I can configure to achieve the same effect?

I read some threads talking about lockout (I see lots of overtime for oncall administrators), lockout for # sec (close but not exactly), or use firewall to detect and deny the source (node or the subnet of that node) after # of attempts (very nasty and can be hurtful to all bystanders ... which technically would be a better result [of a DOS attack]).

I wish I could say..... I'm thinking something in Python, but I'm not a good Programmer yet (nor even a great HACKER yet, for that matter)..... :) But SOMEONE on here must know..... :)

Members online