Debian 12.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compis2

I initially installed Debian live-12.2.0-amd64-XFCE.iso, sha256 7e3d33bbf035567c744012e00f9bc377a49f16ce8aab2e0bbf7b71a632ea9336
and Debian has now made available 12.4 skipping over 12.3.

How can a user tell if there station is running the latest 12.4 Debian software ?

12.3... https://www.debian.org/News/2023/2023120902

12.4.... https://www.debian.org/News/2023/20231210

Updated Debian 12: 12.4 released

December 10th, 2023

Please be advised that this document has been updated as best to reflect Debian 12.3 being superseded by Debian 12.4. These changes came about from a last minute bug advisory of #1057843 concerning issues with linux-image-6.1.0-14 (6.1.64-1).

Debian 12.4 is released with linux-image-6.1.0-15 (6.1.66-1), along with a few other bug fixes

The Debian project is pleased to announce the fourth update of its stable distribution Debian 12 (codename bookworm). This point release mainly adds corrections for security issues, along with a few adjustments for serious problems. Security advisories have already been published separately and are referenced where available.

Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of Debian 12 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no need to throw away old bookworm media. After installation, packages can be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.

Last edited:
Linux kernel v6.1.0-16-amd64 for Debian, "based" on v6.1.67. Less than this and it's not "Bookworm" v12.4.

see edit to my post. Corrected url and added a little detail

Linux kernel v6.1.0-16-amd64 for Debian, "based" on v6.1.67. Less than this and it's not "Bookworm" v12.4.
There is no correlation between Debian version and kernel. I am looking to confirm if Debian placed version 12.4 out for installation can that update be confirmed by the current running user who may of installed version 12.2.

There is no correlation between Debian version and kernel. I am looking to confirm if Debian placed version 12.4 out for installation can that update be confirmed by the current running user who may of installed version 12.2.

I am just revealing what I got after I did the update a few moments before I joined this forum, on one of my circa 20 installations, which includes Spiral Linux Budgie, which was originally "Bullseye" but raised to "Bookworm" status. A few days before that I also raised one Debian XFCE installed from the live ISO for v12.2, and Debian MATE as well. All three went through the mess about the short-lived v12.3.

Just try to do "sudo apt upgrade" right now on anything with Debian "Bookworm" base to see what you get.

Yes the install images are 12.4. Upgrading like normal gives you 12.4 on Bookworm.

Code:
policy base-files
base-files:
  Installed: 12.4+deb12u4
  Candidate: 12.4+deb12u4
  Version table:
 *** 12.4+deb12u4 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main arm64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

base-files always shows which point release you have installed.

Last edited:
"policy base-files" better to be "apt policy base-files", no? Could have "policy" as an alias for "apt policy" I suppose.
Yes.
Code:
# APT User Commands
alias search='apt search'
alias file='apt-file search'
alias policy='apt policy'
alias show="nala show"
# if user is not root, pass all commands via sudo #
if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
alias update='sudo apt update'
alias ainstall='sudo apt install'
alias apurge='sudo apt purge -y --autoremove'