daily linux problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
by clean them nothing can be done for a failing drive, and clean means disassemble the fan and cooler and make sure its not clogged up, also would not hurt to reapply thermal paste, but to see if this is even an issue look up the tjmax temp for your processor then get something like prime95 and run a stress test and see how hot it gets, thermal paste is really cheap, as far as testing the drive you could use kdiskmark and look for some kind of settings, but just run the basic test and see how it compares to your drive online , if it is an old mechanical drive a new ssd on amazon is like 25 bucks for 512 gb, if it is an ssd there are health check softwares but i never had a drive long enough to wear one out lol, checking temps with a software tool is really easy and depends on what os you are using, is it kde or gnome? which distro and desktop? it will affect my answer

Last edited:

I had the interesting experience of opening up a laptop and finding the cooling system blocked by what appeared to be a fairly clean piece of felt that seemed to belong there - it fit the space perfectly (since it apparently formed there). The main clue that it wasn't actually part of the computer was that it looked to be blocking eighty or ninety percent of the air flow. Embarrassingly, it was only on the -second- time I opened up the case that I saw it.

If you have to actually take the heat sink off of the cpu/gpu, it's best to always replace the paste. I have usually had success cleaning heat sinks without removing them - just taking the fan off and getting in there with compressed air and an old toothbrush ( and a vacuum cleaner! :b ) - mainly because I usually don't -have- a tube of thermal paste on hand.

I've tried putting heat sinks back on without replacing the paste. Just don't.

how to tell if the fan is turning on... aren't they quiet enough where you won't hear it? theres gotta be linux program that'll let me turn on the fan on/off to test it

...or you could just block the vents temporarily to hear it come to life.... ;)

Vacuum cleaners can possibly develop a static charge due to atmospheric interactions with the motor and impellor rotating at high speeds. A good habit to wear a grounding strap and attach one to the business end of the vacuum.

Compressed air needs to be clean, dry and not cold.

If a store bought clean air product is used make sure there is no condensation on any area before power up.

If an air compressor is used always use a dryer and an oil trap.

The air flow from any reasonably sized compressor can easily over-rotate the fan and break the blades. Always wear eye protection.

And never do any of this with the unit powered up. Once the magic smoke gets out it is game over.

Have fun.

Vektor

i opened up the pos computer and cleaned out the fan. didn't seem too dirty. spins good.

can useless linux even give me the operating temp of the cpu

i hate linux and i hate windows :) both are pos

Hardware problems are not Linux problems...nothing lasts forever...sad but true.
m1512.gif

Linux didn't fill the Computer with dust...if that's your problem. I use a small leaf blower to rid my Tower and Laptop of dust...works great and is safe. Many things can fail with Computers...it's knowing what did is the problem...it's then trial and error.

Over the years I've had several HHDs...Power Supplies...Fan...DVD burner...Flash Drives and just a few months ago my Motherboard fail...most of the time there's no warning.
t2310.gif

I did have Linux Mint fail to boot once a few years ago because I did something really stupid but I had an Image to put back on the SSD lucky me.
m1211.gif

hi c - yes lets do it (that one sounds easy so you can give me terminal commands if thats easier for you, thank you c :)

hi a - well that sucked for you. was it a virus? is their a log file that will give us that same info? or do i have to watch performance manager...btw. i don't have performance manager, do i need to download it or is it called by some other name - thx a
sorry I missed your reply. you need to use something called "system monitor" available by default in many distros. You will have to check on how much each process is using ever couple hours especially before the freeze. If you have a program with a memory leak it will move towards the top of the list slowly as the leak grows. The memory will return to the system once you close the program.
In the gnome desktop it is called "Gnome-system-monitor" other desktops will have similar name. Use it or install it and this is the tool you need to find the issue.

As for a virus I will attribute that to you being new to linux. Viruses are normally not the problem even in windows but mostly it is limited to windows. M$ gets 99% of the viruses. Not linux.

apti - that won't work. when pos linux freezes i can't do anything, i won't be able to access that program. but theres gotta be a log file somewhere in pos linux so when i do a restart i can see what happened

1698195633519.png

hi c

thanks for your prompt response. i can always count on you. both sections in system reports - crash reports are blank - why?

nobody ever believes me on this forum. i promise you that my pos linux freezes on a daily basis (i watch no videos nor play video games meaning i'm doing low horsepower ****) so there should be 1.9 billion crash reports

Last edited by a moderator:
I must tell you I pondered at great depth whether I should reply to you.

Your approach/attitude to a perfectly sane and logical question reminds me of some of the stroppy characters who, on occasion, frequent this forum.
Needless to say they do not last long.

You have been given the benefit of the doubt, simply because you are newish to Linux and are quite possibly not young anymore

However, you are more than stretching your luck.

A straight, answer to the question "Which version of Linux Mint are you running" ?....things will go a great deal more smoothly for all concerned.

if you have trouble finding that information, just say so.

its pointless to tell you as nobody is running the same version/ flavor/ (i've already mentioned this)

thats what i keep saying - the major problem with linux is that theres so many different versions and then within that version theres subversions and it goes on and on (repeating myself)

is somebody going to install the same version/sub version to help me. of course not. and it would be unfair of me to ask somebody to (which i've said before)

I have 3 versions of Linux, here

I have knowledge going back to 2014

Wizardfromoz, multi boots, and at last count had in excess of 75 OS's

In terminal : (copy and paste for accuracy)

Code:
inxi -Fxxzr

Copy and paste the result back here in your next reply.

Many people like Linux because it is akin to owning, maintaining and repairing your own automobile.

There are also many people who need to take a taxi.

Vektor

apti - that won't work. when pos linux freezes i can't do anything, i won't be able to access that program. but theres gotta be a log file somewhere in pos linux so when i do a restart i can see what happened
I said you have to keep an eye on it. You are looking at a window not a DVR. You have to see it happening not look thru the carnage afterward.
You will notice something getting much more memory and increasing over the day. You will be able to catch it BEFORE it crashes.
But you are right, if you are not interested in keeping an eye on it and just hope that something will magically tell you it is broken, then you are indeed right. It will not work.
If you want to see what is going on you have to actively look.

@Vektor ....taxi......so true ! ...in order to keep the cab driver happy, and to arrive at the intended destination, they also need to part with some info !

hi all,

as you know i have daily linux problems. it will just freeze up and then i have to do a push button power down to restart it works fine (until have to do the same thing EVERYDAY)

i don't do anything that uses alot of computing power (no games, no videos)

its random programs that will cause it to freeze - sometimes firefox will cause it to freeze, sometimes it will be libre office

its as if linux is getting "tired" and just freezes

can someone please tell me where to start looking

and as you know i'm an idiot, so gui instructions would be needed plz
If you have a freeze up, you need to reboot without doing anything else first. The boot up by just pressing once. Never twice as this will cause further hardware issues.

i hate linux and i hate windows :) both are pos
Stop using a computer then or switch to MacOS or a Bsd or just use a mobile phone since you can do all you need to to on a mobile phone now days too or you can still take my offer of buying you a Windows license, tired of your constant complaining. However I'm guessing the way you talk and complain about software and computer problems you will have trouble with any os and software that you would use. PEBKAC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online