Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting to Fax Modem

Discussion in 'Debian GNU/Linux' started by Terry Mester, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Terry Mester

Terry Mester New Member

I'm going to be installing Debian on my IBM Intel Pentium 4 Desktop via CD. How does Debian connect to my internal Voice / Fax Modem (ITU-T V.92, 56Kbps) so that I can connect to the Internet via Dialup? I assume that the Driver for Microsoft Windows is useless.

2. Terry Mester

Terry Mester New Member

Okay, I think the Wvdial command will solve my situation. Below is the Link for anyone else in need. If this doesn't work I'll reply back.

https://wiki.debian.org/Wvdial

atanere likes this.
  3. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

great to hear - haven't used dial-up in a while so i'm glad you got it figured out! Thanks for the update as well.

4. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Hi Terry, and welcome to the site! I haven't used dialup in a long time either, so please let us know if Wvdial was successful for you. I remember that for a long time computers were sold with "Win modems" that only Windows could set the COM port and IRQ to make them work.... but of course the Linux folks were trying to find ways around that, so I hope that they have been successful. The really old hardware modems were the only ones I had any success with... they had jumpers on the board to set the COM port and IRQ and then Linux could detect them.

Good luck!

wizardfromoz likes this.
  5. Terry Mester

Terry Mester New Member

Hi Atanere,
    I'll post my results as soon as I can log into Debian. I'm currently suffering a Monitor Resolution problem. [I'm posting this from my brother's house]