Configuring A Gravis Controller for Steam LM 21.1 Cinnamon [Solved]

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Steam runs great on my LM 21.1 Asus Tuf Gaming rig so that's the good news.

The other news is that I don't get how to configure/tweak the Gravis controller so that it will provide better performance.

The Kensington Gravis Eliminator Game Pad Pro controller works however, it's very laggy and fails to get the character in the game moving quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See the screenshot that I'm looking at on my system-

Attachments

• Steam Controller Config.jpg
    Steam Controller Config.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 222

Are you looking to change things on Linux or on Steam?

jstest-gtk lets you tweak some things on the Linux side. Steam has it's own settings.

Are you looking to change things on Linux or on Steam?

jstest-gtk lets you tweak some things on the Linux side. Steam has it's own settings.
I don't know because I'm new to Steam and not sure what should be tweaked to make the controller have better performance.
What do you recommend?

I'd start with calibrating the gamepad in Steam and see if that helps. In Steam: View > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings.

If that's insufficient or for non Steam games try calibrating in jstest-gtk instead.

If you still need more controls beyond that try something like input-remapper. That creates a virtual device you can map your inputs on with configurable deadzone, gain, macros etc.

The Arch wiki also has a lot of information about gamepads and their settings:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a controller with both cable and wireless connection functionality or just with cable and how are you connected if it has both?

Is a controller with both cable and wireless connection functionality or just with cable and how are you connected if it has both?
The controller has a cable only. No wireless connection.

I'd start with calibrating the gamepad in Steam and see if that helps. In Steam: View > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings.

If that's insufficient or for non Steam games try calibrating in jstest-gtk instead.

If you still need more controls beyond that try something like input-remapper. That creates a virtual device you can map your inputs on with configurable deadzone, gain, macros etc.

The Arch wiki also has a lot of information about gamepads and their settings:
Thanks Insomniac.
I read the article you posted about input-remapper and looked up jstest-gtk and found the download on flathub.org.
I'll install input-remapper later gotta get some rest.

Installed jstest-gtk and tried to launch it.
The module is failing to load-

Attachments

• Install jstest-gtk.png
    Install jstest-gtk.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Failed to Load Module.png
    Failed to Load Module.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 121
The module for jstest-gtk isn't loading and APT can't find it-

Attachments

• Unable.png
    Unable.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 119
Tried one more time to install the module and now the command-line complains that there is a missing/unmet dependency and that their are held broken packages. Not what I wanted:-

Code:
Alex:  sudo apt install xapp
[sudo] password for Alex:         
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 xapp : Depends: libxapp1 (= 2.2.8-1) but 2.4.2+vera is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I have first hand experience with dependency resolution from running Slackware and I had hoped it wouldn't go in this direction.

IF I install the unmet dependency ( libxapp1) then try to install xapp will the system still have held broken pkg's?

Using the Mint Software Manager version here, never tried the flathub version.

Try removing both versions and installing that one with apt-get install jstest-gtk.

Using the Mint Software Manager version here, never tried the flathub version.

Try removing both versions and installing that one with apt-get install jstest-gtk.
Thanks, I removed jstest-gtk from the Software Manager.

I found this video. I didn't know I could configure the controller this way. I think I'll give this a try first before I go back to installing jstest-gtk.

The controller is now configured and works better.

I'm having issue's with Warframe and will start another thread for that.

Staff online