Can't install any linux OS on my server - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck

zealios

Reaction score
Credits
I have been struggling for a while, and any help would really make my day :) Thanks.

Server Hardware:
Dell R5500 Poweredge
2x: Intel Xeon 5000
128gb DDR3 RAM
Unknown shitty GPU (i think Nvidia)
4x: 2TB WD HHDs

I recently wiped my disks on my server, since i wanted to switch to a new OS.
I wanted to use Ubuntu Server, but when o tried installing the same error kept popping up;

BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck
and something about snd_hda_intel

First off, this is unlikely to be a hardware issue on my side, since my hardware was active recently and was running with no problems.
After a little research I think it seems to be a kernel bug or something. I tried with Ubuntu Desktop and Fedora Server -same issue.
I have tried the online fixes i could find, like adding nouveau.modeset=0 after quietsplash, and I tried to select the option nomodeset, but still nothing changes.
I saw someone talking about a BIOS update fixing it, but I don't know how to check if i'm up to date, or what updates I need.
Also I don't know if did anything wrong with the modeset, it seems to solve everyones problem online.

Again I would appreciate ANY help you guys could give.

start up in the grub menu the menu will appear if you boot using BIOS you press and hold Shift during loading Grub, . If your system boots using UEFI, press Esc key. Highlight the Ubuntu 1st line and press the "e" key this will bring up the edit menu - scroll down until you see "linux" at the end of that line you should see something like $vt_handoff this is where you need to add nouveau.modeset=0
so it should look something like "quiet splash $vt_handoff nouveau.modeset=0"
then once it boots install your nvidia drivers

start up in the grub menu the menu will appear if you boot using BIOS you press and hold Shift during loading Grub, . If your system boots using UEFI, press Esc key. Highlight the Ubuntu 1st line and press the "e" key this will bring up the edit menu - scroll down until you see "linux" at the end of that line you should see something like $vt_handoff this is where you need to add nouveau.modeset=0
so it should look something like "quiet splash $vt_handoff nouveau.modeset=0"
then once it boots install your nvidia drivers
Thanks. How do I make sure my BIOS boots in UEFI?
Cause the Advanced Boot Option isn't showing.

Last edited:
Thanks. How do I make sure my BIOS boots in UEFI?
Cause the Advanced Boot Option isn't showing.
That will be in the bios settings just check if it is set to UEFI if you want UEFI if not set it to Legacy

That will be in the bios settings just check if it is set to UEFI if you want UEFI if not set it to Legacy
For some reason there is no option for me to check. Im not sure if this is because im not using a bootable drive or something?
I think im entering the nouveau.modeset=0 in the Boot Options and not the GRUB editor, but as i said. I have no idea how i can enter the GRUB editor without seeing if im running UEFI.

For some reason there is no option for me to check. Im not sure if this is because im not using a bootable drive or something?
I think im entering the nouveau.modeset=0 in the Boot Options and not the GRUB editor, but as i said. I have no idea how i can enter the GRUB editor without seeing if im running UEFI.
Im not sure if this is because I tried using Fedora Server and somehow messed up the HDD raids and stuff
NVM I've been in the GRUB all along, it's just different for some reason.

Last edited:
The Grub and the BIOS are two different things
BIOS - this is an InsydeH2O Bios which is on my Acer Laptop you may have something different like an American Megatrends BIOS or a Dell Bios some other brand depending on your manufacturer - most likely you have a Dell BIOS since your machine since it is a Dell
1.jpeg

Dell BIOS
3.jpg

Grub
2.jpeg

You access them in different ways - BIOS is usually the F12, F2 or Del Key depending on your make and model - the Grub is done by the Shift key or the Esc key
The BIOS is located on a separate chip apart from the Hard Drive - while the Grub is located on the Hard Drive

If you tried Fedora earlier then you may have to reformat the drive and reload Ubuntu

Members online

Latest posts