Cannot use lspci - not sure if pciutils-libs is installed

T

TommyBoy

I've been pullin my hair out, and to explain why...

I have installed the minimum install of centos 7. I did this purposely because I have ditched my seasoned time with Windows to learn Linux in all its greatness. I have not yet, and will at some point, install a desktop environment but for now I am using the shell to at least verify my wireless network card type so that I can install the correct driver and begin using yum to install additional packages and updates (yum by default looks to internet urls defined in the repositories, correct ?). My issue is this..

In order to get the info on my WLAN card, I need to run lspci. In order to run lspci, I need to have the pciutils-libs package installed. However, after much typing (and possibly installing the pciutils-libs package), I type the command “rpm -Vv pciutils-libs” hoping this will indeed verify that pciutils-libs is installed, to which the output does revile four lines of output including files and directories, but I still get the “command not found” after typing lspci. Why ?

That was the simple rundown of where my present efforts have taken me to.

I have other questions like when I run “rpm -qi pciutils-libs” and see that included in the output next to the line "Source RPM" it follows the source rpm is named “pciutils-3.2.1-4.el7.src.rpm”, but when I use the find command as root, starting from /, to search for any file matching my query string \*rpm\* I find nothing, i.e. I assume there are no source rpm packages that I can install at will without needing to use yum. Question at point, when I installed the minimum install of centos, did the installation not copy all base source rpm packages to my hard drive? If it did, is there a default location I can find them in ?

Moreover, when I run “rpm –qa” I find a list of items following the naming convention of <package&version>.el7.x86_64 Are these files, or directories? Can I extract rpms from them ?

Hope this wasn’t too many questions on my first forum post, but looking forward to your wise advice.

TommyBoy

I'm not knowledgeable about RPM but

1) Is lspci installed? It is not installed into every distro by default, sometimes it needs to be installed. If you install it will it take care of dependencies?

2) Did you try becoming Root first and then running lspci?

I'm not knowledgeable about RPM but

1) Is lspci installed? It is not installed into every distro by default, sometimes it needs to be installed. If you install it will it take care of dependencies?

2) Did you try becoming Root first and then running lspci?

my responses: For 1) you say lspci is not installed by default (assuming you mean the package that includes the lspci function). That i can understand but do not know if, how to better confirm it is installed. Again, i run rpm -Vv pciutils-libs and see from the output there does exist what i believe to be the dependencies of the package (or better defined as the files and directories created due to an installation of the package). However, since the command cannot be found I am led to believe it is not installed. But if its not, why do I see files and directories when I run rpm -Vv pciutils-libs?
For 2) I did log in as root and ran lspci but command still not found : \
TommyBoy

lspci should be located at
Code:
/sbin/lspci
The program lspci is part of pciutils. You can manually download the package from http://mirror.centos.org/centos
or can be installed with:
Code:
yum install pciutils
if the package is already installed and you cannot simply run lsicpi from command line then either the package is corrupt and did not install properly or /sbin is not your PATH. For some reason many distributions do not include /sbin in the PATH variable. You can test by running the command with the full path to it:
Code:
/sbin/lspci

lspci should be located at
Code:
/sbin/lspci
The program lspci is part of pciutils. You can manually download the package from
or can be installed with:
Code:
yum install pciutils
if the package is already installed and you cannot simply run lsicpi from command line then either the package is corrupt and did not install properly or /sbin is not your PATH. For some reason many distributions do not include /sbin in the PATH variable. You can test by running the command with the full path to it:
Code:
/sbin/lspci

Thanks for the info. I did look in sbin but no lspci which I assume means that pciutils-libs was never installed. I will install it using the rpm package that I found after extracting the ISO. Still somewhat confused but will open another case with my lingering doubts of the situation. If for some reason I cannot run lspci after officially installing the pciutils-... package I'll be sure to update w my errors. Thanks again for ur feedback. Much Appreciated.
TommyBoy

Thanks for the info. I did look in sbin but no lspci which I assume means that pciutils-libs was never installed. I will install it using the rpm package that I found after extracting the ISO. Still somewhat confused but will open another case with my lingering doubts of the situation. If for some reason I cannot run lspci after officially installing the pciutils-... package I'll be sure to update w my errors. Thanks again for ur feedback. Much Appreciated.
TommyBoy
The package is called pciutils. Just installing pciutils-libs will not necessarily give you pciutils, but installing pciutils will give you pciutils-libs

Staff online

Members online