Cannot install any Linux Distributions on Thinkpad x201

Wrap

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I was looking to boot Linux on my x201 and for some reason cannot. I've tried multiple distributions and when installing they either:
  • Reboot my computer
  • Give me the kernel panic - not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) error
  • Just give me a black screen

Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm using the model with an i5 450m, 4gb ram (1600 mhz) and an older BIOS (doesn't support UEFI, and yes I've tried distros that boot in Legacy mode).
Thanks!

G'day Wrap, Welcome to linux.org

Which app did you use to attach the .iso to your usb stick

did this pc initially have a windows installed on it ?

If so, go looking in bios for either fastboot(quick start) and'or secure boot (both are usually found in uefi/bios)

did this pc initially have a windows installed on it ?

If so, go looking in bios for either fastboot(quick start) and'or secure boot (both are usually found in uefi/bios)
The BIOS are so old on the X201 it doesn't even have a Secure Boot option. I currently have fastboot enabled.

disable fastboot

Ok.

Another member here will have better input than I will.

I will mention his name below....when he comes online he will be notified that this post exists

@Brickwizard

Hmmmm, after tinkering around I was able to boot Linux Mint after I removed the hard drive from my computer, which makes me think it's a hard drive issue. Would buying a new HDD potentially solve the issue?

Did you replace the hard drive and then boot from that ?

Or did it only boot from the usb stick?

Did you replace the hard drive and then boot from that ?

Or did it only boot from the usb stick?
I removed the HDD from the computer and only booted the USB, and Linux Mint was able to work. When I put the HDD back into the computer and booted Linux Mint (from the USB) I was met with a black screen.

I removed the HDD from the computer and only booted the USB, and Linux Mint was able to work. When I put the HDD back into the computer and booted Linux Mint (from the USB) I was met with a black screen.
Has the BIOS been configured to boot from the usb as the first booting device?

The symptoms described in post #13 would be consistent with the BIOS selecting the hard drive as the first bootable device, then failing, producing the "black screen", despite the usb being plugged into a socket.

If the BIOS can be configured to boot the usb first (and this is usually configurable in any BIOS), then, if things work as intended, you could boot the usb with the hard drive in the machine.

Once booted into the distro on the usb, and with the hard drive in the machine, you would be able to check the health of the hard drive using a few tools in the usb distro such as: fsck, smartctl, and mount the hard drive to inspect the filesystem on it and also journal logs which might have information about errors which could be helpful in determining it's fate.

when he comes online he will be notified that this post exists
Morning all.

Welcome to the forums

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Has the BIOS been configured to boot from the usb as the first booting device?

The symptoms described in post #13 would be consistent with the BIOS selecting the hard drive as the first bootable device, then failing, producing the "black screen", despite the usb being plugged into a socket.

If the BIOS can be configured to boot the usb first (and this is usually configurable in any BIOS), then, if things work as intended, you could boot the usb with the hard drive in the machine.

Once booted into the distro on the usb, and with the hard drive in the machine, you would be able to check the health of the hard drive using a few tools in the usb distro such as: fsck, smartctl, and mount the hard drive to inspect the filesystem on it and also journal logs which might have information about errors which could be helpful in determining it's fate.
The BIOS are configured the boot the USB first.

Morning all.

Welcome to the forums

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]
I tried both Rufus/Etcher/Ventoy. HDD is still causing issues on boot.
The downloads aren't corrupt, I verified them.
I've tried both diagnostic boot and quick boot. Says the HDD isn't corrupt.
The USB isn't defective, I've used multiple.
I might have to run an integrity check on the HDD, will do that now.

Another question: when you describe the screen as a "black screen", is the screen completely black with nothing on it, or, is the screen black except for a small cursor appearing (possibly flashing) in the top left hand corner?

The difference may relate to the graphics card and its drivers.

Another question: when you describe the screen as a "black screen", is the screen completely black with nothing on it, or, is the screen black except for a small cursor appearing (possibly flashing) in the top left hand corner?

The difference may relate to the graphics card and its drivers.
Both, haha. But mainly the blinking cursor.

Both, haha. But mainly the blinking cursor.
Thanks for that. Given what you have tried, in thinking further, it sounds to me like the kernel panic indicated by this error message:
unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) error
probably needs more investigation. My own approach would be to use a rescue disk such as systemrescue found here:
boot it and investigate the health of the hard drive. The rescue disk includes tools that may not be available on ordinary live disks. If the smartctl program in particular passes the hard drive, it may be useful to re-partition it to clear it of data altogether making it either free space, or a new partitioning arrangement of your choice before again trying to install a new distro.

Members online