Cannot install any distro except Manjaro

wannabe_linux_user

Reaction score
Credits
I am using Windows since 1997, but late last year I decided to try Linux, I tried to install Pop_OS, Cinamon and Manjaro in that order, I tried installing first two but they both sort of stopped responding either before booting into desktop or after trying to re-arrange my screens (see attachment for my monitor setup).
Manjaro installed just fine, I followed some wiki pages to configure some devices (Logitech G13) and I managed number of applications like Jetbrains tools and Lutris, I like Manjaro but i would like to try some other distros...
Does anyone have any suggestions what I can try to install something else?

I know that AMD is recommended for Linux but people seem to using Intel/Nvidia just fine too, my PC is i9-9900K and Nvidia GPU with 48Gb DDR4 if that helps.
I also included couple of pictures when installation freezes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126_151617.png
    Screenshot_20230126_151617.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 107
  • photo_2023-07-10_16-24-27 - 2.jpg
    photo_2023-07-10_16-24-27 - 2.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 108
  • photo_2023-07-10_16-24-20 - 2.jpg
    photo_2023-07-10_16-24-20 - 2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 107

some linux distributions (distros) can have trouble working with nvidia gpu's. it may help to get a bit of info about yours and the driver it is using successfully with manjaro. if you open a terminal and run the command

lspci -knn | grep -iA3 vga

that should hopefully provide the info.

you mentioned Cinnamon. in case you were referring to linux mint that has a Cinnamon Desktop Environment (DE), there are some instructions in the release notes that may help deal with freezing during the boot sequence: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php

a good ways down that page there is a section that starts with:

Solving freezes during the boot sequence​

Some graphics cards don't work well with the open-source driver present in Linux Mint.

If Linux Mint freezes during boot time, use the "Compatibility Mode" boot option.

In this mode you should be able to boot Linux Mint and install it on your computer.

After the installation, reboot the computer and wait for the boot menu to appear.

Add the "nomodeset" option as illustrated below:
pop os has a download that is specifically set up to try and work with nvidia [labeled (NVIDIA)] gpu's in case you used different one and had trouble with it.

Pop OS is known to have problems when you try to install it in a non system76 machine

Cinnamon is a desktop environment not a distribution

Pop OS is known to have problems when you try to install it in a non system76 machine
This happened in my case.

Manjaro installed just fine, I followed some wiki pages to configure some devices (Logitech G13) and I managed number of applications like Jetbrains tools and Lutris, I like Manjaro but i would like to try some other distros...
Welcome to the forums. But you don't like Manjaro, have you tried to enjoy it? It might be a (small) problem with the motherboard and/or the memory modules that were installed, otherwise 48GB RAM should be more than plenty to run any distribution.

Pop! OS desktop is Cosmic which is just a remixed GNOME which seems to want a lot of RAM and CPU time. While I was running the live ISO, I noticed this thing running hotter than almost anything else I tried before installing. It was supposed to be just Ubuntu installing it, right? I just remembered it does a lot like Fedora or Solus to the ESP partition of the internal disk, another reason why I don't want it.

Thank you for replying.
some linux distributions (distros) can have trouble working with nvidia gpu's. it may help to get a bit of info about yours and the driver it is using successfully with manjaro. if you open a terminal and run the command

that should hopefully provide the info.

you mentioned Cinnamon. in case you were referring to linux mint that has a Cinnamon Desktop Environment (DE), there are some instructions in the release notes that may help deal with freezing during the boot sequence: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php

a good ways down that page there is a section that starts with:

pop os has a download that is specifically set up to try and work with nvidia [labeled (NVIDIA)] gpu's in case you used different one and had trouble with it.
Output from
Bash:
is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Ti] [10de:2208] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Ti] [1043:8802]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

I will try Mint in Compatibility Mode again over weekend.

Thank you

This happened in my case.

Welcome to the forums. But you don't like Manjaro, have you tried to enjoy it? It might be a (small) problem with the motherboard and/or the memory modules that were installed, otherwise 48GB RAM should be more than plenty to run any distribution.

Pop! OS desktop is Cosmic which is just a remixed GNOME which seems to want a lot of RAM and CPU time. While I was running the live ISO, I noticed this thing running hotter than almost anything else I tried before installing. It was supposed to be just Ubuntu installing it, right? I just remembered it does a lot like Fedora or Solus to the ESP partition of the internal disk, another reason why I don't want it.
Thank you for replying.
I do like Manjaro very much but I would also try some other distros. I am mostly impressed with how far Linux came and how good it is.

Your machine is not too new, but I suggest MX-linux AHS it often works where others dont.
OP's system is not too new, it basically has the same cpu(i9-9900K - 2018) as my system and an Nvidia gpu(RTX 3000 series) of the same generation as my system. I have run my current system on Arch, Fedora and EndeavourOS.
Thank you, I do feel like my PC should be fine
You should be fine, it may be of interest to share what ssd is in your system or other storage devices?
Code:
inxi -D
In the picture where you are booting from the Ubuntu live cd I can't see what is causing the problem, it might be an idea to wait out the counter to see what it comes up with, maybe it will give more information.I don't know what the second screenshot is of, I only see some filesystems being unmounted? Try booting Fedora Workstation live and see how far you get, does it get to where you can install?

Which image program did you use? I've seen topics where the image program used to copy the image to the flash drive caused strange errors while booting into the live environment. Flash the image to your flash drive again but try using a different image program? Which distribution would you actually like to run on your system?

Last edited:
Thank you
you are welcome.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Ti] [10de:2208] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GA102 [GeForce RTX 3080 Ti] [1043:8802]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
from the "Kernel driver in use" line it looks like you were using the proprietary nvidia driver. the release notes linked mention trying the Driver Manager program to install that driver so the system will use it after install.
I will try Mint in Compatibility Mode again over weekend.
i hope that goes well for you. good luck.

Members online