CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz × 4
RAM : 15,5 GiB

manin@manos-PC:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

I want to install Win10 in Virtualbox, but I can't make an iso from dvd...
manin@manos-PC:~$ mkisofs -o Win10.iso /home/manin/Win10/
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
File /home/manin/Win10/sources/install.wim is larger than 4GiB-1.
-allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent this file size. Aborting

I googled it for a while but I didn't understand what shall I do...

Thank you

@atanere is right, you can install from the DVD.

However making an iso from a DVD in Linux is very easy.

dd if=/path/to/dvd of=/path/to/my.iso

Optionally if you want to go a little faster....

dd if=/path/to/dvd of=/path/to/my.iso ibs=2G obs=2G

I just use gnome-disks and you can make iso out of dvd in a GUI

If you have a Windows Install DVD, you don't need an iso version. The DVD is bootable, and VirtualBox will recognize that and install from that.
Many computers these days are not coming with "medium", and not even a drive that could hold it. Case in point: ASUS that I purchased two years ago with trick touchpad (could pathetically serve as numberpad). I have to dig into my closet and look at it for a moment to say what model it is...

Could download an ISO which contains Windows. I have tried to get Windows10 from 2017 but encountered frustration, because nothing was offered earlier than 21H2 in "S" mode. Precisely the one that ASUS computer came with and forced me to buy Internet.

Thank You very much.

"Windows 10 or Windows 11 in S Mode is a more limited, locked-down Windows operating system. On Windows 10 in S Mode, you can only install apps from the Store, and you can only browse the web with Microsoft Edge. On Windows 11 in S Mode, you can install other browsers from the Microsoft Store---but Edge will always be your default browser.":
W O U H . . .

Let me say it for somebody who cannot rely on Internet as well as some of you have to.

It means I bought a junk computer where I was able to do nothing, not even run my favorite programs because none of them were authored by M$, and much less "authenticated" by M$, unless I obtained my own Internet access and visited a place somewhere in M$'s website that disabled "S" mode on that computer.

That by itself should have gotten Windows10 completely replaced with a Linux OS. But I have declined doing it. I have learned to forgive and to learn a lesson. Wound up doing it to another computer I'm seldom using but I feel bad for it. However that other had Windows10 not updated since 2017. :/

What else do you want me to say? Have you been off Internet for 8 years?

This actually happened to me, before March 2022. Not just during COVID-year. Some people cannot afford to pay Internet for very long, whether or not it's high-speed. I needed to get another computer but I bought a cheap one which couldn't let me do anything, and otherwise I only had 32-bit Ubuntu Studio "Precise Pangolin" (got this from a family member's very slow Internet) without knowing back then how to boot into it. I had to go online to discover how to disable secure boot, how to get an insolent computer to allow the user to boot from a chosen EFI file, and much more.

I'm going off-topic here, but speaking from experience, I don't need to lie to anybody. But don't read me anymore if you can't understand.

Have you been off Internet for 8 years?
No, but with 56k modem ´on the road´, while others did work with 2 MBit, I do not remind quite exact.
Now You have internet again ?

It is not necessary to be able to comprehend for to be able to empathize. OK ?

What I cannot understand, is "nothing was offered earlier" "than 21H2 in "S" mode" and "forced me to buy internet".
Could download an ISO which contains Windows. I have tried to get Windows10 from 2017 but encountered frustration, because nothing was offered earlier than 21H2 in "S" mode. Precisely the one that ASUS computer came with and forced me to buy Internet.

I want to install Win10 in Virtualbox, but I can't make an iso from dvd...
confused????? if you have a windows' installation DVD then it is already bootable, if you downloaded an image from Microsoft then it will need to be written as a bootable disc ,

or if you have installed a VM on your machine, then you can download an installation file, remember like any other OS, you will be required to unmount the installation file prior to a final re-boot.

then it will need to be written as a bootable disc
Or easier on stick, or also an other external drive (and even internal (?)), because of the size for the 2 DVDs to have to write ? Just instead onto (2) DVDs ?
For just that temporary step.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts