Bombarded with email spam

UpNorth

Reaction score
Credits
For the last several months, the email address I use for personal and bills has been bombarded daily with spam emails, like 5-10 per day. It's various, but some recurring ones are Ace Hardware, Dewalt, Kitchen-Aid, Lowe's, weight loss, hearing aids, Fedex spoofing... you get the gist. Blocking doesn't work for long because the addresses keep changing. My provider only allows a certain number of addresses to block, and I've reached my limit.

I use Thunderbird mail. The filtering tool is somewhat effective. I'm not an expert at using it, but I am able to filter by domain such as .ru. My provider won't let me do that. But the domains are always changing and the spelling for the same topic keeps changing (Dewalt, De-Walt, etc.), so it's not very effective. I'm constantly having to update my filters and it's really annoying.

Usually these things come in waves and go away, but not this time. It's been going on for months. Of course I don't click on anything. I just want it to go away. Wondering if this is a problem for others and how you deal with it. Are there any effective spam blocking programs?

I Have the Spam filter set on my Google account, but it still doesn't get all of them, those that get through [and you don't need to open them to tell if they are fake] I just mark as spam and send direct to the bin,

Your current address by your description sounds like over and done. For the future, if you ever make a new account somewhere (Protonmail I recommend) take the time and figure out how this service works:

Never again give your real email on the internet for registrations etc. It belongs to Proton, I use it since before they acquire it and I can't imagine baffling around the internet without it

then apply the Spam Assassin filters on Thunderbird
That is good advice.
Found in Account Settings
1710036443640.png

Found in "Settings"....not account settings
Under privacy & Security
1710036588668.png

Spam assassin has 'training Data".....right click on each mail you receive and select either ""Mark as Junk"" or ...Mark as Not Junk
This a right royal pain in the butt....but spam assassin catches on fairly quickly, and will start to send the junk messages to the junk folder fairly quickly.....be sure to keep an eye on them for a while, just inn case it gets it wrong !

I think google works with thunderbird without wanting money but not sure.
Correct. I use Thunderbird (zero cost) and have done for years.

depending on how uch storage you have proton is also a good choice. I think they start charging when oyur storage exceeds a certain number of GB's

That's interesting. I didn't even know about the Spam Assassin setting. I have it on now. I'll look into Protonmail. Heard of it but didn't know what it was about.

As to the now missing reply about this being my provider's problem - what? How would that work exactly? I call them up and say I'm getting spam and they have to fix it? Yeah right. If I had a choice of other providers, believe me, they'd be gone. They're the only game in town and I'm stuck with 'em.

Doesnt matter where you are, gmail will get to you....I think this addresses you concerns about someone being the only gem in town

i really hesitate to blow googles horn, given that they gobble up info from their gmail acount holders....but the gmail service is second to none

If I could afford it I would take on a proton mail account in a flash....but I have a swag of storage needs.
As to the now missing reply about this being my provider's problem
That guy had to go bye byes...you wont hear from him again

In short the spam assassin setting should do some good for you.

I call them up and say I'm getting spam and they have to fix it?
You are talking about your ISP...correct?

Is your email account also managed by them ?

I try to avoid Google/Gmail as much as possible. I mean, I know they run the world, but I try.

I now have a protonmail account! Good info in these links about how spammers get your info. Thanks all for the guidance!

I now have a protonmail account! Good info in these links about how spammers get your info. Thanks all for the guidance!
Wise choice! Protonmail is based in Switzerland meaning your personal data is protected by Swiss data laws which restrict 3rd party countries from buying user info for marketing purposes.

This is not the case with any other mail service outside Switzerland, second to Switzerland is EU thanks to EU data privacy laws.

Staff online

Members online