Best Linux OS Similar to Windows

Welcome to Linux.org
i can not say which Linux OS is the best for Beginners BUT.
We use Linux Mint 21 (cinnamon). i am still a Linux noob and was able to convince the family to switch to Mint at our home/private school. (No i dont teach spelling or grammar;)
We have found Mint to be very intuitive coming from windblows.
No mater witch distro you decide to use you can always ask for help.

P.S You will get used to the names of stuff. :)

I feel bad when I have to take down a Linux installation. It's like killing a penguin for dinner. It's like having a friend and then sending them to the other side of the world for one silly reason usually.
After all the goodbyes in your post, what Distro do you use?

As I said I go thru a few all the time, as for backing up I set up all systems tweak and fix the W's then do a recovery stick. Timeshift on Penguins. As for data I have been building systems so long I have the stuff I want to save everywhere. Had a box a few weeks ago with a 64mb USB stick along with a few other mb sizes, not Gb mind you, it had Document saves from 15 years ago or so. Of course I still have Floppy's with OS's, Shareware, and junk from the 90's. I have been going thru a lot of crap as I get older, on tech I seem to be kind of a hoarder. Easier when it's Floppies, and CD's then actual big stuff most hoarders keep around. Although I had a lot of old cases and parts for PC's.

As In Wed I just grabbed another Motherboard from Micro Center. I stopped in the grab a Wifi PCIE card. But they had a New WHITE PCB Motherboard which I am about to build a White Lian Li Tower. So now I have 3 Motherboards new in box. So 2 are in case. All three were under 100 bucks at the time.

To get a Linux Distro to be similar to windowz...you would have to add the blue screen of death...spyware...viruses...make it slow down to the point of re-installing and many other things associated with windowz...who would want that.
t3612.gif

I have distro hopped from Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Arch, Manjaro, Fedora. With all that experience with those distros I finally landed on Fedora as my daily driver. The install process went off without a hitch. Installing software is easy, and the new Gnome desktop is so dam beautiful its ridiculous. Check out Fedora 39 if you haven't chose your distro yet.

Can you have the words "best" and "like Windows" in the same sentence?
Is that an oxymoron? :cool:

Welcome to the forums @m1k3.

Yes Kumander looks like Windows7 but not like Windows11 like the topic started expected (when he/she cares to post ever again on this site). But XFCE won't be to everyone's taste who expects Windows-like behavior out of a Linux OS. Better have something with KDE Plasma. (shrugs)

To answer someone else's question, currently I'm writing this from Debian MATE "Bookworm". I don't like it that well, I'm supposed to have Manjaro instead with the same desktop, but I ran into a little multimedia problem, and the boot times were becoming intolerable for some reason. I have about 20 other distro installations to go into, half of them based on Debian and it includes Freespire and Ubuntu MATE, both based on v20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa". I'm involved in hobby music production and therefore a favorite for 32-bit Windows applications.

Off topic: last time here I promise!

Welcome to the forums @m1k3.

Yes Kumander looks like Windows7 but not like Windows11 like the topic started expected (when he/she cares to post ever again on this site). But XFCE won't be to everyone's taste who expects Windows-like behavior out of a Linux OS. Better have something with KDE Plasma. (shrugs)

To answer someone else's question, currently I'm writing this from Debian MATE "Bookworm". I don't like it that well, I'm supposed to have Manjaro instead with the same desktop, but I ran into a little multimedia problem, and the boot times were becoming intolerable for some reason. I have about 20 other distro installations to go into, half of them based on Debian and it includes Freespire and Ubuntu MATE, both based on v20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa". I'm involved in hobby music production and therefore a favorite for 32-bit Windows applications.

Off topic: last time here I promise!
Hope your not leaving Wendy - enjoy your contributions.

Members online