Best development tool for creating GUI in linux

S

Sumeet Thakre

Hello all,
Like we have VisualStudio2008/2010 IDE in windows for GUI application development, which is the best development tool/IDE is available in linux ???
Also suggest me tutorials/ from where to start for the same.

Thanks in advance.
Sumeet

Hello all,
Like we have VisualStudio2008/2010 IDE in windows for GUI application development, which is the best development tool/IDE is available in linux ???
Also suggest me tutorials/ from where to start for the same.

Thanks in advance.
Sumeet

I would recommend Geany.

Thanks,

Seems QT and Perl good for GUI development. I have to study a little on both and to decide which one to use, Perl or QT.

Thanks Again for guidance.

Wow Im not qualified to answer this but I have been playing with QT alot I think perl is great too. I would think it would depend on the development. I'm a beginner on both so Id trust ryan or deveyn on this one.

If you want something with the same type of rapid GUI design as VS and a VB-like language, you might give Gambas a try. It should feel familiar to anyone who's used VS.

It should be in the repository for your distro, or search for "Gambas" using Google. It's the first result. (I can't post the actual link because my account here is too new.)

GTK+. As a lightweight interfaces fan I recommend this one. Documentation and support are available on gtk.org.
And you don't have to "speak" C++ :)

Also Code::Blocks has very good integrated support (via a plugin) for RAD GUI development using wxWidgets and C/C++.

QTCreator and Kdevelop are also great for QT based RAD GUI projects using C++. (QT Creator can also be used to design GUI interfaces for programs which can then be implemented in Python with pyQT or any other programming languages with QT bindings)

And of course there is wxPython - wxWidgets app development in python. But I don't know of any drag/drop type GUI/IDE's for wxPython apps offhand! I've always hand-coded wxPython GUIs, which can take a bit of playing around with in order to get things looking exactly how you want them to!

Last edited:

Members online