Australia....for the uninitiated....

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
You know you're Australian when..
1. You know how to abbreviate every bloody word, all of which usually end in -o: arvo, combo, garbo, metho, milko, muso, rego, servo, smoko, speedo, righto etc.
2. You know that there is a universal place called “woop woop” located in the middle of nowhere… no matter where you actually are.
3. You know that while we call our friends ‘mates’ , we don’t use terms like ‘sheila’ and ‘shrimp on the barbie’, contrary to popular belief.
4. You know that none of us actually drink Fosters beer, because it tastes like fuc*in crap. But we let the world think we do. Because we bloody can.
5. You have at some time in your life slept with Aeroguard on in the summer. Maybe even as perfume.
6. You have the ability to compress several words into one – ie ‘g’ day’ and ‘d’ reckn?’. This allows more space for profanities.
7. You’ve used the words – tops, ripper, sick, mad, rad sweet – to mean good. And then you place ‘bloody’ in front of it when you REALLY mean it.
8. You know the first verse to the national anthem, but still don’t know what “girt” means. And you’ re ok with that.
9. You know that backyard cricket is a nice way to bond with family and the rubbish bin. And the ‘one bounce, one hand’ rule always applies.
10. You know Australia IS the best bloody place on earth. Bar none

8. You know the first verse to the national anthem, but still don’t know what “girt” means. And you’ re ok with that.
Soon after going to work in a foreign country, I pulled out some currency and asked questions like "Who is this guy?" "What did he do?" "Why is he here on money?"

None of my well educated coworkers could tell me anything about the people on the bills. I had to go out and buy a history book to find out about them.

2023-04-15_09-06.png

Personally, I have always liked Mary Reiby....she's on the $20 note with glasses perched on the end of her nose.

Mary was a 'hard case'....and took crap from nobody.

I wonder how long before we get King Charles on a note?

Will he substitute for his mother, or get his own note, and if so, what denomination?

Wiz

Avagudweegend

King Charles III's face will not grace any Australian bank notes.

Under a different government this would change, but not under the current gov't

Don't be offended...

We're not - we are comfortable within our own skins, and we are good friends with our brothers and sisters across The Pond.

It's good that you visited.

I liked those "Foster beer" advertisements on television, laughed a bit at the "tourist" one.

Liked a cartoon aired for a few years on Nickelodeon called "Rocco's Modern Life". The protagonist was a kangaroo. Heard him say "mate" only once though, which was strange. That cartoon was too gross and mental for my taste. He had a friend named Heffer who was a "male cow". ROFLMAO my favorite episode was where Rocco had a bowling team called the "LOSERS", which beat the team of his really loud arrogant neighbor. The name of the team was given by that neighbor because Rocco couldn't come up with a name.

But do you guys call a woman "mate" too? In the short time I went to church regularly I had a lady tell me that "sheila" in Hebrew roughly translates to "blind" and that's why that name wasn't given to her LOL.

I thought it was just the British capital that was bloody. And don't stand in the middle of that desert, for the "best place on Earth".

Your country is cool even to have any women printed on money. I have a limited-edition dollar (or is it half-dollar) with Susan B. Anthony on it.

Adelaide. I like the name of the capital of Southern Australia. Like the story too for Canberra.

About American money: "How come that guy is on a bill so high? He wasn't even elected president!" Well, Hamilton neither, and Jackson, well, erm, uh... goes away pretty darned fast in the supermarket these days. Buying food. Buying stuff like water, milk, and bread and everything else to make sandwiches for a few days. I don't think Benjamin Franklin was that awesome but still, he's definitely awesome on a 100-dollar bill and not on a tenner LOL.

I really really wish I still had that article from Car and Driver magazine I think it was, about a funny car race in New Zealand. Really fun reading. Two BMW's couldn't start the race, had mechanical problems but seemed to be more potent than anything else, especially the article author with a different driver of an ancient Saab or Volvo or something like that even down a hill. The author was once asked by a kid, "Did you shoot a bear?" The part I didn't really like was their making fun of Australians, or what the author said about it.

Members online

Latest posts