Any way to remove Bios supervisor password?

FatDroid

Reaction score
Credits
I've just got a used laptop and its fantastic, however some cretin has put a supervisor password on it in Bios and they've not bothered to remove it when they sold it. Please don't tell me to go get a refund or swap it for another, I intend to keep this PC and the password really isn't so bad aside from it blocking me disabling secure boot, which is prettty limiting in regards to what distro's I can use.

Is there any way to remove this supervisor password without shorting the security chip, buying a new board or some other weird solution that's closer to witchcraft than anything else? All I've tired so far is removing all batteries, the one for power and the one for Cmos, leaving it an hour and putting them back in as I read this could clear the Bios chip on older models of laptops, but obviously that hasn't worked for me as I'm asking this question in the first place.

Any help is appreciated!

Usually, the support pages from the manufacturer say how to do this.

I think last time, I had to remove the power, remove the bottom cover plate, remove the CMOS battery,
and then hold a reset button down on the motherboard for 10 seconds or something like that.

It's different for every manufacturer.

Can't say for sure on laptops but every desktop I've owned have a shorting jumper.
That shorting jumper can be moved from one set of pins to another set of pins clearing the password and bios clock.
Have you gone to the manufactures website to see if there may be a guide as to how to clear a bios password.
What is the make and model of the computer.

Take a look here to see some options for removing the BIOS password...

removing bios password thinkpad at DuckDuckGo

DuckDuckGo. Privacy, Simplified.
duckduckgo.com
duckduckgo.com

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts