Alternatives to Windows Software

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
maybe we need a thread about alternate programs for windoze users.

Microsoft office / Office 365 ---------- bested by Libre Office
Quickbooks ------------- bested by GnuCash

only things I can't find linux native software for is I-Tunes and Garmin Express however they can be run in a VM

Lets dedicate this thread to software to replace windoze versions.

Calibre works for both windows and Linux. (available in the Software Manager in Linux Mint)

@APTI
Yeah, Microsoft ® Software sucks.

One thing I noticed since I switched to Linux is I don't need to troubleshoot every damn thing every now and then.
Stuff just works the way I set them, although it takes time to lean how to but that's a different matter.

I think it would be better just to call the topic "Free and Opensource alternatives to Windows programs", the word death has and sets such a negative tone.

Blender rules the 3d design , CAD and video editing sectors. Ardour rules (king of) the sound editing. GIMP tries to catch up with Photoshop CS2 of 20 years ago. Musescore rules the music score making. This is more or less the situation today with software that I care for

Do we really need yet another "I hate Windows" thread?

Civility is important on this site, so I'll likely change the title of the thread so long as you folks can keep it on topic - which will be 'alternatives to Windows software'.

Civility is important on this site, so I'll likely change the title of the thread so long as you folks can keep it on topic - which will be 'alternatives to Windows software'.
I think it would be better just to call the topic "Free and Opensource alternatives to Windows programs", the word death has and sets such a negative tone.
That's what I thought as well.

Thread title changed.

Again, civility is important. That includes our attitude towards other operating systems.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Do we really need yet another "I hate Windows" thread?

If you really feel the need to change, feel free, you are the boss. But I just want to see if we can help get people to the proper alternate software.

There is no replacement for Linux terminals for sure, MS tries hard with PowerShell but it's nowhere close, PS is too slow, although scripting syntax is nicer than bash.

So that's one piece of software that's better than Windows equivalent.

But there is also a lot of great programs that are cross platform, no alternative needed for these.

If you really feel the need to change, feel free, you are the boss.

I don't really like to be, but people keep putting me in that position.

I much prefer days when I don't have to do anything but process the approval queue.

Far too many to mention and some work in both...Audacity...Avidemux...Handbrake and Virtualbox but work much better in Linux...so just install the Linux version.

When you install Linux software...don't have to worry about viruses.
1712711078817.gif

Calibre works for both windows and Linux. (available in the Software Manager in Linux Mint)

Calibre is also one which can be used to manipulate PDFs, I have read, but I have not tried it for that, yet.

Calibre is also one which can be used to manipulate PDFs, I have read, but I have not tried it for that, yet.
That's true, in addition to creating a PDF library it also lets you convert between various e-book formats including PDF->e-book and vice versa.
Although the quality of conversion is not always the best, it depends on the quality of the e-book and whether OCR was used and how good that was.

Members online