AlmaLinux 8 "no boot device found"

Bashed

Reaction score
Credits
Couple of oddball problems on 2 different but 100% same spec'd servers.

AlmaLinux 8 on both. Main issue on these 2 particular servers, attached. Both servers are Dell R640 with 4 x 8TB NVMe (U.2) drives, no hw RAID (HBA330 pass-thru controller).

Can't even use gparted delete partition. The crazy thing is, I somehow was able to do so initially 2 days ago on the #1 hosting server, but the #2 (same specs), not working. Both are causing this problem shown in black screenshot, after install AlmaLinux 8 and cPanel, then reboot. After 2nd reboot after initially installing cPanel, I get this error on both servers.

This is about the fifth time I have had this problem and had to reinstall AL8 and cPanel on these 2 servers, don't know why.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-08 105819.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-08 105819.png
    763.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot 2023-08-08 110752.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-08 110752.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 177

Is shot one from a live system? Which partition is it?

Did you update the system before you installed cpanel? If so, did you reboot it before installing cpanel?

Does it also occur after that reinstall?

Last edited:
Exact steps taken, issue happens after 2nd reboot after installing cPanel which is 100% compatible with AlmaLinux 8.

Code:
INITIAL
------------
dnf update -y
* Disable SELinux
yum install nano -y 
nano /etc/selinux/config
reboot

SECURE SSH
-------------------------------
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin without-password
Port #
UseDNS no

CPANEL
-------------------------------
cd /home && curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest
reboot

Ok. What about the other questions?

I suppose that selecting F11 in the boot screen doesn't show the system in question...?
If it's using grub, a reinstall (of grub) to the efi partition might fix it. In order to do that, you start a live system (uefi), mount the partitions of your system and install grub to the efi directory (might be /boot/grub/efi). Then you generate the grub config.
I have no idea how you do that on alma though.

Members online