Solved additional apt repositories

Solved issue

CaffeineAddict

Reaction score
Credits
I have only now figured out a potential issue with my apt setup...

To install and update Lutris I had to add opensuse repo to apt:
from https://lutris.net/downloads

Problem is that this now might lead to installing packages from opesuse repo anytime there is no package in debian repo or if opesuse repo provides more up to date package right?

What options do I have here?
What I want to is either to:
1. use the opesuse repo only for Lutris and nothing else
2. getting alerted whenever something is to be downloaded from opensuse repo, for ex. can apt install show which repo is used?

is either of these 2 options possible?

Another question, how do I verify which packages had been downloaded so far from opesuse repo?

@CaffeineAddict g'day - are you using Debian 12 itself, or another distro that utilises Bookworm, such as Peppermint, Expirion or other?

While you are answering that, I will swing into one of my Gecko Linux Tumbleweed distros to have an easy reference.

Wizard

Short answer is
1. use the opesuse repo only for Lutris and nothing else

Yes, likely.

2. getting alerted whenever something is to be downloaded from opensuse repo, for ex. can apt install show which repo is used?

Not through apt install very easily, but you can with a combination of

Code:
sudo apt update
apt list --upgradable
apt policy <package-name>

Wizard

Yes, likely.
In the main time I've figured out the way this is done is by pinning a package, so I ended up creating a file in /etc/apt/preferences.d

with contents:
Code:
# Never prefer packages from the opensuse.org repository
Package: *
Pin: origin download.opensuse.org
Pin-Priority: 1

# Prefer only lutris from opensuse.org
Package: lutris
Pin: origin download.opensuse.org
Pin-Priority: 900

Not through apt install very easily, but you can with a combination of
That is useful, thanks!

Any idea on how to verify which packages had been downloaded so far from opesuse repo?

Code:
grep " install " /var/log/dpkg.log

Make sure you leave a space either side of install or you will get items like half-installed, not installed, and so on.

@wizardfromoz
I appreciate your help but unfortunately your command outputs all installed packages for all repositories, but after bit of struggling I've come up with a solution:

List origins:
Bash:
apt-cache policy | sed -n 's/.*o=\([^,]\+\).*/\1/p' | uniq

Will print in my case:
dl.winehq.org
code stable
namespaces/moz-fx-productdelivery-pr-38b5/repositories/mozilla
obs://build.opensuse.org/home:strycore/Debian_12
Debian Backports
Debian

Then use opensuse origin from the output above:
Bash:
aptitude search '?narrow(?installed,?origin(obs://build.opensuse.org/home:strycore/Debian_12))'

Will print that only lutris was installed from opensuse repo:

Code:
i   lutris                                         - video game preservation platform

I got this based on answers from the link below:

...for all repositories...

Are there more than 2? - Debian, and opensuse/strycore

Oh well, you could substitute 'lutris' in there.

In my environment, I would simply take a Timeshift snapshot before monkeying with repos.

Cheers

Oh well, you could substitute 'lutris' in there.
That would print lutris for sure, but I wanted to know what got pulled from opensuse beside lutris.

In my environment, I would simply take a Timeshift snapshot before monkeying with repos.
I think it's OK now knowing that nothing bad happened, I just want my gaming setup to be most up to date, including wine, lutris and nvidia driver, debian has outdated packages for all 3 of these and I already had troubles running some games with outdated debian packages.

For everything else I'm fine with default debian packages.

...but I wanted to know what got pulled from opensuse beside lutris.

#4 refers, where I said "short answer"

Longer answer I already had ready (and can still show you if interested), and shows how openSUSE repositories are used, and that you would be highly unlikely to bring into your system other than the intended package.

openSUSE use their additional repos in the same fashion, broadly, as PPAs are used under Ubuntu, MInt and Debian.

They are purpose-specific and package-specific, and provide updates as required.

I have 3 Gecko Linux in my stable from which I can explain it.

Only if you are interested.

Wiz

Longer answer I already had ready (and can still show you if interested), and shows how openSUSE repositories are used
Yes please do, I'm interested to know more about how it works, or how it works in this specific case with lutris.

Give me 10 minutes or so and I'll put it together (2 minutes of that is for grabbing a beer out of the fridge)

I have three (3) Gecko Linux - with the KDE, Cinnamon and Xfce desktop environments.

in openSUSE, 'zypper refresh' is like running 'apt update' but not then running 'apt list --upgradable'

My KDE

chris@Gecko-KDE-SSD:~> sudo zypper refresh
[sudo] password for root:
Repository 'Google-talkplugin' is up to date.
Repository 'Nvidia' is up to date.
Repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' is up to date.
Repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' is up to date.
Repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS-updates' is up to date.
Repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' is up to date.
Repository 'Skype-stable' is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.
... is just standard default.

My Cinnamon

chris@GeckoCinnamon-HDD:~> sudo zypper refresh
Repository 'Nvidia' is up to date.
Retrieving repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' metadata ......................[done]
Building repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' cache ...........................[done]
Retrieving repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' metadata ..........................[done]
Building repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' cache ...............................[done]
Retrieving repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' metadata ......................[done]
Building repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' cache ...........................[done]
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' metadata .....................[done]
Building repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' cache ..........................[done]
Repository 'home:Lazy_Kent:devel' is up to date.
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' metadata .....................[done]
Building repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' cache ..........................[done]

The largest is my Xfce

chris@gecko-xfce-WD:~> sudo zypper refresh
Retrieving repository 'Nvidia' metadata ..................................[done]
Building repository 'Nvidia' cache .......................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' metadata ......................[done]
Building repository 'Packman_Tumbleweed' cache ...........................[done]
Retrieving repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' metadata ..........................[done]
Building repository 'Tumbleweed_OSS' cache ...............................[done]
Retrieving repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' metadata ......................[done]
Building repository 'Tumbleweed_non-OSS' cache ...........................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:X0F:branches:multimedia' metadata ............[done]
Building repository 'home:X0F:branches:multimedia' cache .................[done]
Retrieving repository 'X11:xfce' metadata ................................[done]
Building repository 'X11:xfce' cache .....................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:X0F:HSF:Kernel' metadata .....................[done]
Building repository 'home:X0F:HSF:Kernel' cache ..........................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:X0F:branches:network' metadata ...............[done]
Building repository 'home:X0F:branches:network' cache ....................[done]
Repository 'home:X0F:DEPS' is up to date.
Retrieving repository 'GNOME:Apps' metadata ..............................[done]
Building repository 'GNOME:Apps' cache ...................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:X0F:HSF' metadata ............................[done]
Building repository 'home:X0F:HSF' cache .................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:manfred-h:X11:xfce' metadata .................[done]
Building repository 'home:manfred-h:X11:xfce' cache ......................[done]
Retrieving repository 'home:X0F' metadata ................................[done]
Building repository 'home:X0F' cache .....................................[done]

With all those entries that are extra to the defaults, they represent repos maintained by the openSUSE community, and are reputable, whereby I have got packages installed that are not immediately available through the regular channels.

I only get updates for their packages, and I can remove the repos at any time, should I no longer have a need for them (or a trust for them). That last bit being said, the repos are endorsed by openSUSE, as you have found for Lutris for Debian, and also you had to download gpg, keys and so forth.

I can draw a parallel with the old method used for installing Timeshift under Ubuntu and Mint, which was

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/timeshift
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Now Tony George (original author of Timeshift) also was responsible for Aptik (for saving system settings) and Conky Manager, which was and perhaps still is the industry standard for managing Conkies.

However you did not get Aptik and CM installed unless you asked for them.

I could go on, but I have to leave soon for my evening in Oz.

HTH

Wizard

Members online