A portable SSD is not being recognised by Gparted. ( Solved )

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
I obtained a Seagate Expansion SSD {2TB} to replace a ext. HDD that karcked it on me; I finally decide to connect up to Goldie to-day and she doesn't want to recognised it.
When I connected it up first off I was powered off and when I powered on the UEFI stalled and hesitated so I unplugged the device and it run up.
The other external HDD also a Seagate would show up in the home folder but this one does not do it. (this is one decided it had enough and karcked it on me hence the new one)
So I went to time shift and on its tree it showed it as coming off the Main HDD,
But I want to partition it into two 1TB sectors one for time shift and the other for other back back ups just in the unfortunate case that we have to hit the frog and toad due to an ego maniac.
So I loaded up Gparted and ran it but it only read the main HDD not the SSD.
So what is the G O with it?

Last edited:

Thanks @brickwizard but it is a external SSD connected through a USB 3 connection not a sata cable just like my other external HDD. But the funny thing writing this reply made me realise that I do have another avenue to explore is I will see what my Lappie does in regards to it. Let you know a bit later. Due to situation constraints makes it difficult to run in tandem.

I think you are talking about one of these things? I bought one a few weeks ago together with an nvme ssd and it just works out of the box. It shows up like this.
Disk /dev/sda: 953.87 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Which ssd do you have?

this is inxi -D for my desktop, I have inserted a USB connected external hard drive [i know its not an ssd but this is how it should show in inxi or in the bios]
wizard-HP-ProDesk-400-G2-5-SFF:~$ inxi -D
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 521.66 GiB used: 34.74 GiB (6.7%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST500DM002-1BD142 size: 465.76 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: ST96812A S size: 55.90 GiB

@brickwizard thanks for that mate, got me head going in a more correct direction.
Found out that when I changed from a USB 3 socket to a USB 2 socket the SSD was recognised.
I did it on the lappie and there was no problem at all.
So that gives me to two solutions of the problem.
1/ That when it is in the USB 3 slot it registered it as another HDD.
2/ That the USB 3 slots are U/S which I rather doubt.
At the moment I am using a front USB 2 slot to plug it into.
So it looks like that I am going to have to dredge up from somewhere two PS-2 to USB 2 adapters so that I can throw the Mouse and Keyboard onto the PS-2 sockets. to free up two USB 2 slots they now occupy as I think that all the USB 2 slots are taken and at the present point in time I have no desire to go effing around to access and have a good view of the back of the box to sort things out.

Which ssd do you have?
A Seagate 2TB Expansion portable drive.
STEA 2000400
model SRD0NF1.
P/N 1 TEAP3-570
I finally solved it so all is sweet, thank you. :)

2/ That the USB 3 slots are U/S which I rather doubt.
Are you using the same cable for both machines?
My usb2 -SATA cable has 2 USB connections, so the external drive can draw enough power but the USB 3-Satta only needs one as it supplies more power [from a usb3 socket],

oh, and ps2-usbFM adaptors are cheap these days, around £2 each in the UK

Last edited:
just in the unfortunate case that we have to hit the frog and toad due to an ego maniac.
Here's hoping it doesn't come to that, Davy.

However, if it all goes south then at least you got some seriously good backups that are portable.

Stay safe mate.

Members online