A good distro to use at work.

D

dazed63

As a Field Technician, our main image for computers is WIN7, 64bit. Just trying to figure out a good distro to either run as dual boot or off a USB.

A solid package with some tools.

1. Salix
2. Solydx64
3. Bridge
4. Netrunner

Any suggestions would be great.

Hope all are enjoying the weekend.

dazed63

dazednconfused

Ubuntu seems to be a good package to try Linux out. It can be dualbooted and has plenty of software in the repositories that could meet your need plus you can run it off the CD to try it out and see if there's any hardware issues. Another one that's good is Debian 7.5 Wheezy. Ubuntu and Debian are essentially built in a similar platform. Give it a whirl, can't hurt.

I would definitely recommend Debian over all as a Field Technician. Can boot from Live C/D or can be dual booted with Windoze. I personally would never recommend Ubuntu in any form for a professional. Set your /etc/apt/sources.list to access the "main contrib non-free" sections of the Package Depository. I have tried many Distros in the past, but have standardized on Debian for all my laptop, desktop, and server systems! Good luck!

I would definitely recommend Debian over all as a Field Technician. Can boot from Live C/D or can be dual booted with Windoze. I personally would never recommend Ubuntu in any form for a professional. Set your /etc/apt/sources.list to access the "main contrib non-free" sections of the Package Depository. I have tried many Distros in the past, but have standardized on Debian for all my laptop, desktop, and server systems! Good luck!

I use Debian 7.5 on my laptop as well and it's lightning fast with Gnome on it. I dumped Unity on my Ubuntu and went with Gnome (both classic and 3) and there was tremendous improvement. I guess Unity is just not ready for prime time yet.

Will it ever be??? ;^)

If they make the side bar like Gnomes applications menu (one up top) and make it customizable like in main menu, I would reconsider it. But it most likely won't happen.

Cool, I'll give those a try. Thanks for the replies everyone.

" . . . or off a USB" and "I tend to go with LXDE."

Have you tried Puppy Slacko? With Salix and Slackware repos added to the pupfile sources, no DE and ease of boot from LiveUSB, its seems to be a matter of what tools are needed weigheagainst the convenience and speed of Slacko Pup.

Coming from Win7, Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition may also be an option.
Why? Because the GUI resembles Windows!

From usb or dual boot, as you wish.

I have not tried Slacko Pup. I was not too thrilled with the desktop on earlier versions.

Members online

Latest posts