Which PSU should I get for my first gaming pc build?

timurs022

Reaction score
Credits
So basically, I can't find which power supply I should get. Here are my specs:

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
GPU: GTX 1080 TI 8GB
CPU Intel core I5-12600k
Motherboard: MSI PRO B760M-P DDR4
RAM: Patriot Memory Signature Premium DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) UDIMM Kit with Heatshield PSP416G2666KH1

Can someone please tell me which PSU I should get?

So basically, I can't find which power supply I should get. Here are my specs:

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
GPU: GTX 1080 TI 8GB
CPU Intel core I5-12600k
Motherboard: MSI PRO B760M-P DDR4
RAM: Patriot Memory Signature Premium DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) UDIMM Kit with Heatshield PSP416G2666KH1

Can someone please tell me which PSU I should get?
It's been a while since I built a PC...

I'm not a gamer. However I use heavy duty design apps. My needs are essentially the same as yours.

When I decided on a PSU, I researched the minimum requirements of my components. I considered how they would be working together and the performance I need in light of the work I do.

I did a lot of research
Read, read, read. Read expert reviews geared toward the type of user you are, reviews of users who aren't experts.

I went with the biggest one I could afford that wouldn't blow up my system.

It's been a while since I built a PC...

I'm not a gamer. However I use heavy duty design apps. My needs are essentially the same as yours.

When I decided on a PSU, I researched the minimum requirements of my components. I considered how they would be working together and the performance I need in light of the work I do.

I did a lot of research
Read, read, read. Read expert reviews geared toward the type of user you are, reviews of users who aren't experts.

I went with the biggest one I could afford that wouldn't blow up my system.
I did about an hour of research (before this) and I am thinking of getting a 600 - 750 watt power supply because I play loads of high quality games, and I'm not going to overclock anything so I am thinking about a 500 watt or 600 watt, but my main currently has a gtx 560 ti and it barely runs overclocked, so now I'm thinking about 750 watt, and that's what confuses me because i'm new to building computers and I don't want too much power to blow my pc up or something that won't even let you turn the pc on so I'm not sure

I did about an hour of research (before this) and I am thinking of getting a 600 - 750 watt power supply because I play loads of high quality games, and since 1080 ti isnt the most power eating thing should I get a 750 watt? I only posted this because I wasn't sure if it'll work.

Like I said, I haven't built anything for a long time.

Give some time and I'll check the specs on the main system I use. I'm not at it right now.

I can definitely tell you this right now though.

600 to 750 watts sounds very low.

I used a 600 watt PSU 20 years ago on a gaming computer. GPUs didn't exist then. All the RAM was shared. I had a core II quad processor. That system paled in comparison to what we have today.

I'll get back with you to let you know what I have now. My GPU needs its own power supply. Yours probably does too.

I'm no expert. But, I don't see how having a 750w supply would cause an issue. Your components will only use what they need, right?
Gaming PCs have much higher needs, especially if your using a GPU.

Have you already bought the other components? If not, this is the best piece of advice I can give if you're playing games.

The very first thing would be to get the best MOBO you can reasonably afford. Everything else can be upgraded. Make sure you get one with the most current socket (fitting) in case you upgrade the CPU.

The second thing I would put money into would be the CPU.

Integrated graphics on MOBO's these days are pretty good. I was using them for a while in my system and it's a little old too. If you have to compromise wait on the GPU. Get a good PSU now. If you wait on the GPU, you won't have to upgrade PSU when you get one

Gaming PCs have much higher needs, especially if your using a GPU.
I'm aware of that. But the OP has worries that going "too big" would blow up his system somehow.

As I said, I'm no expert when it comes to building PCs. And I'm not an electrical engineer. But I do suffer from a rare condition called "common sense" (on occasion). My truck has quite a bit more electrical power available than it needs. My house has way more. Etc. Etc.

Having more power available to your system doesn't mean it will try to use it all. The components will only draw what they need to run.

Last edited:
I went ahead and moved this to the Hardware sub-forum.

To be future proof I would get either a 800 or 1000W psu, that way if you upgrade your gpu or other components you will be sure you will be good.

@timurs022

I'm going to tag someone I think would be good to help you.

@kc1di

They can help you a lot faster than I can right now. I'm not saying your an idiot, but it does sound like there may be more information you need if this is your first build.

If I remember correctly, Nvidia cards can be problematic in Linux based systems

Your GPU needs it's own power supply. That should definitely be considered when deciding on a PSU and especially for gaming.

Have you already bought the other components? If not, this is the best piece of advice I can give if you're playing games.

The very first thing would be to get the best MOBO you can reasonably afford. Everything else can be upgraded. Make sure you get one with the most current socket (fitting) in case you upgrade the CPU.

The second thing I would put money into would be the CPU.

Integrated graphics on MOBO's these days are pretty good. I was using them for a while in my system and it's a little old too. If you have to compromise wait on the GPU. Get a good PSU now. If you wait on the GPU, you won't have to upgrade PSU when you get one
Okay basically, I am not sure whether to go with a 600 or 650 watt power supply, because if you do the calculations I will have
1. 100 watts left over for 600 watt power supply
2. 150 watts left over for 650 watt power supply
so which one should I get (yes my choices are both in gold performance)

Okay!

For good measure though, I personally would recommend waiting to hear back from some gamers here before buying anything.

Okay basically, I am not sure whether to go with a 600 or 650 watt power supply, because if you do the calculations I will have
1. 100 watts left over for 600 watt power supply
2. 150 watts left over for 650 watt power supply
so which one should I get (yes my choices are both in gold performance)
What type of games are you wanting to play, if you ever plan to upgrade your gpu you will need at least an 800W gpu and it's always nice to keep the future in the mind so depending on what you will be upgrading at some point it might not be a bad idea to get a 1000W psu.

What type of games are you wanting to play, if you ever plan to upgrade your gpu you will need at least an 800W gpu and it's always nice to keep the future in the mind so depending on what you will be upgrading at some point it might not be a bad idea to get a 1000W psu.
I play a lot of graphic / power demanding games (something like call of duty). And if I put an 800W psu in my current build will it still be alright?

Staff online

Members online