Solved USB ports issue - really slow

Solved issue

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
I plugged my Seagate portable hard drive in yesterday and it took forever to appear. I clicked on it's properties and that was just as bad if not worse. I'm guessing it would have taken 8 or 10 hours to show the number of files and the size. It's a 2TB drive with about 180GB used. BUt after 15 minutes it was up to 1.1 GB. So, maybe it would have taken 8 to 10 days instead of hours :D

I got the bright idea to try it in my Debian box and it works fine. So, that leads me to believe something in the upgrade to Mint 21.3 Virginia got messed up. I haven't used the USB ports on this machine in a few weeks. And probably not since upgrading (which was around the same time). Under normal circumstances, I could probably do a Timeshift and get back functionality. However, the Seagate has those files on it.

So, now what? Switch kernels?
Screenshot_2024-04-18_09-53-24.png

I'm not sure what info a person may need to help diagnose/remedy the situation.

My thanks to all.

EDIT: Just tried plugging the drive into the rear USB ports on my machine and it works much faster. Still no way near as fast as it should, IMO. On the properties screen it takes about 1 minute to get info on 32GB. So, this issue is primarily with the 3 front ports on my box.

Last edited:

A few questions:

-Did you upgrade from LM 21.2 via the command line or the Update MGR?
OR> did you perform a fresh installation of LM 21.3?

Sometimes upgrades don't go well and certain functionality lacks.
This is one of the reasons that I perform fresh installations all of the time.

-When you plug in your external Seagate in does it show in the commandline?
Code:
lsusb

Since your drive was seen by your Debian system I suspect something is missing.
Not sure what that 'something' is yet. I'm thinking it could be a run time lib for usb recognition.

If you upgrade...say 21.2 to 21.3 sometimes things won't work...that's the reason I don't...I always do a clean install.

I always have an image of my system stored on an external Drive in case something goes wrong...of cause it's possible your portable HDD is failing. I'd do a clean install first and go from there.
m1212.gif

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I accidentally cut the internet coax line into the house today. Might be a day or two before they come fix it. Sux to be me.

Anyway, with what little internet I have with my poor cell reception, I'll try to answer.
Did you upgrade from LM 21.2 via the command line or the Update MGR?
The manager is what I used.
I'd do a clean install first and go from there
I may do that after I get service back.

Thanks fellas.

I got the bright idea to try it in my Debian box and it works fine. So, that leads me to believe something in the upgrade to Mint 21.3 Virginia got messed up.
So, now what? Switch kernels?
Drivers are in the kernel, even usb drivers. If it works normally on Debian then I would first try installing a lower kernel version on Linux Mint because Debian has a lower kernel version than Linux Mint. And the other thing you could also try is the most recent kernel.

Drivers are in the kernel, even usb drivers. If it works normally on Debian then I would first try installing a lower kernel version on Linux Mint because Debian has a lower kernel version than Linux Mint. And the other thing you could also try is the most recent kernel.
I didn't go looking at kernel versions. I assumed that, with a seemingly "major" update, that the kernel would be the "most recent". I guess that is not the case?

I didn't go looking at kernel versions. I assumed that, with a seemingly "major" update, that the kernel would be the "most recent". I guess that is not the case?
Only rolling release distributions are running the most recent version of the kernel(aka mainline) but you are running the most recent version available for Linux Mint out of the repos available to Linux Mint. You can install the mainline kernel on Ubuntu and Mint, just follow the installation instructions in the link I shared. So it's mostly like this, Debian uses the oldest kernels, Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distributions use a kernel a bit new newer and then you have rolling distributions which usually use the mainline kernel.

You could just for the sake of experimenting try and install an oem kernel and boot from that, to see if your usb ports became as fast as you expect them to be then.
For example this one.
Code:
 apt policy linux-image-6.1.0-1036-oem
linux-image-6.1.0-1036-oem:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 6.1.0-1036.36
  Version table:
     6.1.0-1036.36 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security/main amd64 Packages

Did the speed change? Was it always slow on that particular port?

My PC has 3 kinds of USB ports. It has USB 2.0, It has USB 3.1, and it has USB type c, 3.2.

Two are only 450meg per sec. Two are 5gig per second. 4 are 10gif per second, and the type c port support 20gig per second.
So all ports, ( even on the same PC ) aren't always the same speed.

If a lower version of the kernel doesn't help your best bet IMO is a fresh installation. Go with the exact LM 21.3 .iso that has been verified and the integrity checks out.

Hope your ISP can run a new cable for you soon.

Back when I was using Mint Cinnamon 18.2...18.3 came out...I waited till the bugs were gone then I upgraded to 18.3.

Everything seemed fine...then things stooped working...Software Manager and then the Update Manager wouldn't work.
1713571006856.gif

What's going on here...I had an image (macrium) no Foxclone back then...so I put it back and everything worked just fine...that was the only time I did an upgrade...lesson learned.
m1213.gif

Did the speed change? Was it always slow on that particular port?
Yes, they changed. Was doing manual Timeshifts back in January before automating them. Only took a couple minutes. Would hate to say how long it would take now.

G'day Dave :)

I note from your screenfetch screenshot above you are using kernel 6.5.0 which is not in line with Mint's upgrades.

Did you upgrade that yourself?

Mine for the same

6h7AOFx.png

Wiz

Ok, now my curiosity is sparked as to if Dave installed kernel 6.5.0:-

I'd be very surprised if the Mint Update MGR would have installed 6.5.0-060500-generic:-

Debian 12 Bookworm is using 6.1.0-20-

I note from your screenfetch screenshot above you are using kernel 6.5.0 which is not in line with Mint's upgrades.
Now that you mention it I forgot to check on my Mint 21.3 vm and is using 5.15.x.

Yes, fellas. I changed this box to that kernel a few days after the original install of Mint. That was due to having issues with the the original kernel not recognizing my monitor. There's a thread around here somewhere about that. In fact, I think that was my original reason for joining this forum.
Did you upgrade that yourself?

Ok, now my curiosity is sparked as to if Dave installed kernel 6.5.0:-

Now that you mention it I forgot to check on my Mint 21.3 vm and is using 5.15.x.

No crime in that, Dave - it's a valid reason, I just wondered. :)

...and is using 5.15.x.

Yes, for The Viewers, Mint uses the kernel series (LTS - long term support) for the full two (2) years from the time they release their new version series based on what Ubuntu released theirs on.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, upgrade theirs with subsequent point releases every 9 months.

Gotta sign off soon, but I'll keep my thinking cap on.

There may be some kernel between the 5.15 series and the 6.5 series that works better - if this is kernel-related.

Cheers

Wiz

Well, I still don't have internet access other than on my cell. So, not much I can do until they fix it. I'm not hurting for a fix just yet.

I think I'm leaning toward a complete reinstall first. Then I may have to go hunting for a kernel. Especially if I have the monitor issue again.

Well, I still don't have internet access other than on my cell. So, not much I can do until they fix it. I'm not hurting for a fix just yet.

I think I'm leaning toward a complete reinstall first. Then I may have to go hunting for a kernel. Especially if I have the monitor issue again.
Did you get a new monitor recently?

Have you tried rolling back to an older kernel that the Mint upgrade offered or installed?

LM 21.3 Virginia may not be playing well with your newer version of the kernel. And, the upgraded packages and runtime lib's may be lacking. Old packages mixed with old lib's or vice versa can cause all kinds of performances issues. It's happened to me.

It's been my experience that if the kernel doesn't know about certain things, functionality start to present issues.

If you do perform a fresh installation and have to install a higher version of the kernel make sure your new kernel has headers that go with the exact kernel you install.

Hope the rest of your weekend is less stressful.

Last edited:
I think I'm leaning toward a complete reinstall first.

Before this step, boot to the live USB and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, reinstalling is unlikely to help.

Also, doesn't Mint have some sort of distro with an advanced kernel for more modern hardware? I forget the name but I've seen it mentioned. You could also try that.

Latest posts