Today's article has you playing around with sudo...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You get a few minutes of leeway (maybe 15) when you type sudo and authenticate. That is, for the next 15 minutes you can continue using sudo without needing to enter your password again. This was pulled out of my notes as I used to change that value to like 30 minutes.

Well, you can change that value. If you're more concerned about physical security, you can shorten it. If you're less concerned about physical security, you can make it longer. If some network-based attacker is at the point where that matters, the length of time sudo remains active is not even a little important.

When I'd change it to 30 minutes, I had no worries about physical security - nor do I now. I seldom change the value, but I do have a couple of devices that will let you run sudo without any password at all - with some restrictions.

Also, I was able to link to a ton of my own articles for this one. It's almost as if I planned it. (I didn't, really. I've just authored a whole lot of articles, some of which are handy.)

Members online

Latest posts