Today's article has you mucking about with Flatpak permissions...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I recently wrote an article about Flatpaks. It was aimed at Lubuntu but the directions will be adequate for many others. If you use Mint, for example, you have nothing to do as the OS already supports Flatpaks right out of the box. Others need to do a simple installation and they're good to go.

So, Flatpaks come with various permissions set. They run in isolated containers and without those permissions, they'd not be able to interact with the system or use system resources. Some level of permission is probably required in most of these applications. However, you can - and might want to - modify those permissions.

This is relatively straightforward. It's an easy enough process with something called 'Flatseal'. This article is mostly just bringing that application to your attention.

If I could have assumed everyone had Flatpak enabled with the Flathub repository configured, it could have been a 'short' article. Alas, I can't make such assumptions and it's slightly longer than it could be. Still, it's very short when compared with other articles.

Flatseal is also available via the Software Manager in Linux Mint 21.3

Flatseal is also available via the Software Manager in Linux Mint 21.3

As it would be. When you view it in Software Manager, look just under the title. Does it say that it's a Flatpak?

It (probably) should.

The difference here is that Linux Mint has Flatpak enabled by default, meaning full system integration - including listing the FlatHub applications in your software manager application.

So, it should be available "by default", because Flatpak and Flathub are enabled by default with integration for the software manager.

Like so:

Software Manager_001.png

(From another thread, the initial Flatpak thread I made a few days back.)

When you view it in Software Manager, look just under the title. Does it say that it's a Flatpak?
Most definitely.

Members online

Latest posts