Today's article has you messing about with your CPU...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Have you ever wanted to delete cores? No? I didn't think so.

But, just in case (and there are some good reasons), you change your mind...

Yeah, It's not necessarily something you'll want to do - but it is (I think) interesting. Those folks who do have a use for this will now be able to.

Have you ever wanted to delete cores? No? I didn't think so.

dont say that! YES I'M EYEBALLING YOU SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN! xD

Actually not sure if that was one of the ways to go about it. I think that was disabling multi-core processing it in the BIOS or so. It was a fun experience while running qubes, which is the OS where you basically never have enough ressources, even if instead of your laptop you could have bought a totally reasonable car xD

while running qubes

I haven't played with Qubes in a long time.

Fortunately, Spectre and Meltdown were nullified fairly quickly. Those were particularly nasty.

I should test this to see how much more battery life I get if I disable half the cores on a laptop. I won't test it, but I should. These days, modern CPUs can have low-power and performance cores. I have no idea which ones will be disabled. I have no way to test that.

Hmm... I should buy a modern gaming system.

Not something I'd do.
1713312867532.gif

Nope. You probably don't need to disable a CPU or two.

However, I wonder if this would help when you're in a region that's so hot that CPUs have problems running outside of air-conditioned environments.

Here in Australia in summer, it's hotter than Hell and never affected my CPU...we don't have the AC on all the time either because it's very expensive to run...greedy electricity companies that can charge what they like.
1713314071248.gif

Very interesting article, @KGIII .

I think I fall into the 99% you mentioned. :D

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Here in Australia in summer, it's hotter than Hell and never affected my CPU...

Some of the more modern CPUs run close to 100° C though many can be had with coolers that will keep the temps not far above ambient.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

You're welcome. The next article will be significant.

However, I wonder if this would help when you're in a region that's so hot that CPUs have problems running outside of air-conditioned environments.

Then your system will max out one core and just be slow.

Buy more (enteprise grade) thinkpads. they have enough space for cooling. You cant build a laptop "super flat" and still have good cooling.

-Some- commercial software is licensed on a per-CPU-core basis which, IMO, is great reason to just not do business with IBM.

These days CPUs are not cheap...so I don't touch them.

The only thing I'd do maybe once a year is check the temp...here are my two ways...
1713333981196.png

m1213.gif

Then your system will max out one core and just be slow.

Probably not - if you lower your activities accordingly.

-Some- commercial software is licensed on a per-CPU-core basis which, IMO, is great reason to just not do business with IBM.

That's a good point. MSFT did so for their server editions in the past.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts