Is Linux Really That Harder Than windoze ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
How to clear Ram cache in windoze...

How to clear Ram cache in Linux Mint Cinnamon...
Before...
1711760729807.png

After...with one command...
1711760796633.png

You be the judge.
1711762115650.gif

Since Linux doesn't slow down is it really worth doing this in the first place...maybe just something to know.
1711762341468.gif

There are a few different views on dropping caches, many of them expressed here:

Basically, a problem with dropping caches is that the cached data is lost and the kernel then has to go to the disk files to recover what it needs for execution which takes longer than accessing the cache in RAM.

In my own case the use case for dropping caches is when using kvm and working with virtual machines. Once leaving one virtual machine to work with another, if the cache in RAM allocated to the first machine is still "occupied", then clearing the caches returns the RAM for work with the current working virtual machine.

In my personal experience, Linux is not harder to use than Windows as long as you stay away from these command line junkies in the Linux community that insist on making Linux harder to use.

Given my age and experience, Linux is closer to 'returning to my roots'. It's not more difficult, If anything, it's easier - for me.

There are a few different views on dropping caches, many of them expressed here:

Basically, a problem with dropping caches is that the cached data is lost and the kernel then has to go to the disk files to recover what it needs for execution which takes longer than accessing the cache in RAM.

In my own case the use case for dropping caches is when using kvm and working with virtual machines. Once leaving one virtual machine to work with another, if the cache in RAM allocated to the first machine is still "occupied", then clearing the caches returns the RAM for work with the current working virtual machine.

I just gave an example of how easy Linux is.

As for Ram cache...I've never touched it in the 9 years of running Mint Cinnamon...no need to and is quickly replaced if I did.
1711846236058.png

m1213.gif

In my personal experience, Linux is not harder to use than Windows as long as you stay away from these command line junkies in the Linux community that insist on making Linux harder to use.

I don't use the Terminal a great deal but there are times you must use it especially when using the Live Session.
m1213.gif

The Terminal has it's place and is very handy for doing many things try these from the Desktop...
What OS are you using...
Code:
 inxi  -S
How much HDD space is available?
Code:
 inxi -po
Computer Information
Code:
 inxi -Fxzd
What Kernel Version Do I Have
Code:
uname -r
CPU Info
Code:
 inxi -c

These are just a few...enjoy.
m1203.gif

why on earth would you want to do that..?

Linux isn't Windows. It comes secure by default (for the exceptions check The ULTIMATE Guide to Reasonable Security for your Debian/Ubuntu Linux Server for new Linux Users), performant by default and free of nonsense by default.

Linux for endusers works like this:
1) install
2) use
3) profit

I've been working as a Linux-Consultant for ~15 years and I didn't even know this functionality exists (I'm not surprised it does, just never needed it).

The question:

Is Linux Really That Harder Than windoze​

assumes that Linux is harder....

Simple answer: It isn't.

It is actually easier.

Why?

Because all the conflicts/problems/update dramas/feeling of insecurity/....Are Gone !

Relax, and Enjoy your Linux.

How to clear Ram cache in windoze...

How to clear Ram cache in Linux Mint Cinnamon...
Before...
View attachment 19141

After...with one command...
View attachment 19142

You be the judge. View attachment 19144

Since Linux doesn't slow down is it really worth doing this in the first place...maybe just something to know. View attachment 19145

Windows may have other ways of doing the same, they actually have 2 command line interpreters (CMD and Powershell), so comparing this way is weird as it may be a selection of methods, for either Windows or "Linux". When it comes to GUI tools on "Linux", the selection is large, I guess.

Linux however could make the drop_cache feature simpler by choosing a command that is suited in stead of using the ECHO command to trick the behaviour into some intented behaviour.

No, just different, most people forget they had to learn windows, mu own progression started with IBM compatible [IBM_OS] followed by OS2 then moved to Win 3. there was a learning curve, then to Win 95 [another slight learning curve] then win 98 and on to Win XP [the best version of windows ever produced IMO] no real learning required, then the big jump to Linux [I had been playing with linux since the mid 1990's but found it lacking at that point] and yes there was once again a learning curve, due to the similarities with OS2 I didn't struggle as much as I may have expected,...

So back to my first line, No it's not harder, just different and remember you had to learn Windows [or mac] at some point in your past life.

I think it all comes down to what you're used to.
If you're used to a Mac, Windows is hard. If you're used to Windows, a Mac is hard.
I recently went back to using a Windows computer after almost ten years on Linux only.
To me, Windows is hard. On top of that, they moved everything around, the menu's, control panels,
and some of the directories. At least Linux is usually consistent. ( Although Gnome is another story ).

Windows may have other ways of doing the same, they actually have 2 command line interpreters (CMD and Powershell)

Don't care what windoze has...saw the video and know there was an easy way to do it in Linux...don't do it myself anyway...end of story.
1711923481798.gif

I think it all comes down to what you're used to.
If you're used to a Mac, Windows is hard. If you're used to Windows, a Mac is hard.
I recently went back to using a Windows computer after almost ten years on Linux only.
To me, Windows is hard. On top of that, they moved everything around, the menu's, control panels,
and some of the directories. At least Linux is usually consistent. ( Although Gnome is another story ).

You're right about that...after windoze 7 I wouldn't know where to start...not that I really care now anyway.
m0111.gif

I bought a mac recently after like 15 years of linux (no windows since then) and i wouldnt describe it as hard, i'd call it utterly painful x)

The only good apple product I ever bought was these airpods for my gf, and they broke after 2 month, and have been in repair for 2 month since now.

apple is a church, not a tech company.

I think the reason why many people find windows easier to use, is because a lot of the applications that they use are made for windows and so the installation is quite simple and the apps just run out of the box.

There is also no need to use the terminal, which for nonetechnical people, that makes things easier. Most computer users tend to look at the terminal as a complicated tool and don't want to use it. Linux is very terminal based, and once you learn it, it makes things very easy, but that requires time to figure out, and most people just don't care, they want to use the computer and not spend time learning. It's too bad, because Linux has a lot to offer.

I don't use the Terminal a great deal but there are times you must use it especially when using the Live Session.
m1213.gif

The Terminal has it's place and is very handy for doing many things try these from the Desktop...
What OS are you using...
Code:
 inxi  -S
How much HDD space is available?
Code:
 inxi -po
Computer Information
Code:
 inxi -Fxzd
What Kernel Version Do I Have
Code:
uname -r
CPU Info
Code:
 inxi -c

These are just a few...enjoy.
m1203.gif
No, it's not a must. I used MX Linux many times in a Live Session using strictly the G.U.I. While I have nothing against anyone who likes to use the Command Line and I think it is good to learn it if you can. I am strongly against Command Line Junkies that push the Command Line like a drug pusher. In my experience trying to learn the Command Line is impossible in my case and I have given up on it since the Command Line has caused more trouble than I could shake a stick at. Twice it wiped out my distro that it required a complete re-install and many other headaches.

I am strongly against Command Line Junkies that push the Command Line like a drug pusher.
I worked for more than 33 years (retired now) with the AS/400 - command line ONLY. I felt very annoyed when new young people, mostly operators, came asking for help and shoved their menu options to my face. It's very hard to explain to them using these GUI's, slow thing down and their learning too.
However when coming to Linux, my 65+ year old brain (at retiring age) cannot learn anymore, so I use GUI as much as I can, except when doing mass copy, delete, move files etc...
You guys are (were) luckier than me in a sense that you are exposed to Windows, or Mac, or Unix ...
Me NONE of these, the AS/400 doesn't play nice with any of the above, even its siblings.

I've never needed to clear memory cache cuz this computer at first had 8GB RAM, then I quickly upgraded it to 32GB which is the motherboard's maximum. Even with 8GB RAM it rarely exceeded 3GB of memory usage, thus I never needed to clear memory cache or to even know about such thing, let alone now with 32GB RAM. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online