Identity Theft Protection Is Mostly Bullshit

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

One of the biggest things you can do, especially if you have money and good credit, is to actually lock your credit. When someone tries to open an account, they pull a credit report and the report says to not issue credit. You have to unlock it when you do open a new line of credit, but it's the absolute best protection you can take.

The article mentions about freezing your credit - I am guessing that is the same thing.

Also worth noting for Members is that the article is (understandably) written from the perspective of US citizens.

Each country will have its own laws regarding personal liability and so on, so Members should check with their local authorities and institutions before making assumptions.

In the USA the 3 major credit bureaus are - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

UK has 4 credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and Crediva

Australia has 3 credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, and Illion.

... and if you are interested, they are heaquartered in

Equifax - Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Experian - Dublin, Ireland

TransUnion - Chicago, Illinois, USA

Crediva - Cardiff, Wales, UK

Illion - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Cheers

Wizard

The Illion bureau from Melbourne Australia, is quite user friendly

I don't mind having services like LifeLock, but I don't act like they're impenetrable like my dad does. Not to go off-topic, but its one example of how most of the population has been thoroughly indoctrinated into not being self-reliant because its inconvenient.

It's the standard here to use debit-card or cash to pay for something, there is less protection on that but still some protection and no need to use your creditcard since most people here don't even have one.

Members online