Solved i have errors installing pls help

Solved issue

newguy

Reaction score
Credits
i have an hp 6530b compaq i want to install fedora but it got to the part of the bootloader and then it freezes and the installer software crashes and in mint there is that "this is a fatal error installing grub to dev/sda " and also i get the error "we couldn't install" at pop os please help i choose the boot option "boot from efi file"

Your computer is older. Does it support EFI?
yeh i have it on bios it says like feature in test but i cant really boot into usb in the normal way for some reason also i didn't expect an answer that fast cuz it is my first forum post ever

OK so you have a 2008 machine, when new it only had up to 2gb ram [max possible 4 gb] It doesn't have UEFI, you will need a legacy bios installation. If you only have 2 gb ram, try Mint LMDE, Linux Lite, or one of the other distributions suitable for minimal resources.

Can you tell us the state of your laptop, prior this "failed" Linux install ?
Like what you had or have installed.
Did you tried installing or reinstalling XP, Vista, 7 whatever ?

and then it freezes
That is a hardware issue.
If the Laptop is the same as was new, you should have 2 memory sticks.
One of them could have a defect.
Tell us about and we will go from there.

I am not at all surprised POP failed, your Compaq [it won't have the necessary legacy drivers] is a couple of years older than this laptop, and it has installed [an run's] Mint LMDE without problems

Can you tell us the state of your laptop, prior this "failed" Linux install ?
Like what you had or have installed.
Did you tried installing or reinstalling XP, Vista, 7 whatever ?

That is a hardware issue.
If the Laptop is the same as was new, you should have 2 memory sticks.
One of them could have a defect.
Tell us about and we will go from there.
i think so cause once the pc wouldn't boot and i plugged out and in the ram and then it worked and after the installation was complete successfully by accident i deleted fedora and installed win

by accident
By accident ha ? :oops: Why wasn't the other around;)
Believe it or not @Brickwizard the Laptop have some type of UEFI, I don't what that is(don't care).
Do you remember @newguy if someone had flashed/installed a new bios ?

2010(forget) is the year when they start development or when they put the first release.
M$ came later with their secure boot:mad: in 2012 or 2013.
I don't know anything about Windows 8 or 8.1, but xp,vista, and 7 will work fine in a normal install that means no UEFI.
With a Windows 7 an the internet however, because for 7 M$ delivers no more security, your credentials will get stolen, names and passwords.
So your only choice is Linux(on the internet) and you have to believe what other suggested a LEGACY install as a NORMAL one
is much better for your hardware then UEFI. Yes UEFI is newer bla bla bla...but now and then, who know why makes problems
To be sure that you will do a LEGACY install, you have to go into bios and after some settings you have to choose something
After you will come back if you want I will tell you how.

To to the freezing issue now.
if you have a windows installed and is working is a good thing and the method to see which memory stick cause problems is:
PC power off. Leave it powered off for a while(2-3 min)
Take one stick out gently.. then power on the pc and lock on Windows if is working, like open "an app".. a program
If is OK.. Power off, put the stick back in the slot.
Time to pull the other one... same procedure, check in windows.
If it's ok, power off, put the other one back and stop...
So what have done above is prove if pc is working in a virtual environement..with one stick alone, also alone the other one.
Until now you had always 2 sticks inside your laptop right..."working togeder".

So seams like both sticks are "good" no!?
Here come "the secret".....
Some operation systems shows that you have a faulty memory, some not.
But almost all of them show that something is wrong with memory right in the install process by freezing.
You don't know which is faulty when installing. So you have to make another test.
Well BIOS can also freeze in some cases, but that's another story.

So...what can you do
You can try install a operation system, I recommend Linux of course, but you can also try XP SP3 or SP2(just for testing), no Vista is too heavy and 7. And you will have to install with ONE memory just one.
See if the install goes to the end. If yes..is a good one.
Pull this one off and try the other one... if the other one is also good, that's much better.

Say.. No 1 works alone, No 2 works alone... But not togeder well then.. is a much complicated issue...hard to find.
What you can also do before all of this is to run MEM 86 with a USB or a CD/DVD Drive to the end till 100% is passed(it will take a lot of time) and if the 100% is passed with no errors then your memory stiks are good.

But you have a BIOS setting problem, what has to be resolved too.
Do remember that also the memory slot can also generate frezees, if the pins(all of them) don't have a ferm/good contact with the metal inside the slot.

Still, I'm not convinved that you can install a system with 1GB of memory. Never done it, never try it.
But Linux is known to be an OS, and man can achieve more or many things.
I think the lightest of all is Puppy Linux(never try it).. another one is bodhi Linux, you don't have follow my advice just pick one light that's all. Don't choose something heavy. Do remember that you have to try with only one memory = 1GB, and almost all Linux distros recommand at minimum.. 2 GB(Puppy included :))

Do this tests and we talk later.

I'm not convinved that you can install a system with 1GB of memory.
The system should have 2GB Ram, there are about 7/8 distributions that will run on 1gb or less
UEFI was developed by microsodt around 2005 but did not find itself in general use till about 2011 [my dell is 2010 and not UEFI]

i have an hp 6530b compaq i want to install fedora but it got to the part of the bootloader and then it freezes and the installer software crashes and in mint there is that "this is a fatal error installing grub to dev/sda " and also i get the error "we couldn't install" at pop os please help i choose the boot option "boot from efi file"
There seems to be an error in the bootloader installation process.No worries! We have provided you some key steps to overcome this problem.

• First check the compatibility of Fedora version on the HP 6530b machine. For more details on it, you can visit Fedora website.
  • Many older HP models have one feature called the Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS. It might have occurred during the Linux installation, kindly disable the Secure Boot from BIOS settings.

Hope you have got the solution of your problem.

UEFI was developed by microsodt around 2005
No @Brickwizard, you're wrong...M$ is not the developer of UEFI.
UEFI is a...kind of project, where are many promoters.

In HP 6530b Compaq's case there are... HP , Intel and M$.

That is a M$ thing, just because Micro$$$$$$oft came later at the consumer level of understanding or perceiving, as the daddy of all things or mommy who always shows you the SAFEST way when playing;)

kindly disable the Secure Boot from BIOS settings
Secure Boot? Really...in 2008(or what year) ?
Hmm.. I wonder what kind of Secure Boot that is:rolleyes:
I heard stories about people not been able to install Linux on Hp Laptops.

It could be a HP mom or a M$ mom....or a combined work :p
Of course...this is valid just in case that protocol exist on that bios, set by the moms purposely.

@newguy -- Yesterday I forgot to warn you or tell you that, if you're not comfortable with "tear-down" a Laptop
it's better to leave my workaround, because you can do harm, break it or 'close it up' in a non functional state
Take the MemTest 86 option...
If the pc freezes only when installing Linux, that is not a memory faulty stick.
It is then a bios setting workaround.

thank you all for your help but the only thing i am trying to fix is to boot a isb in legacy suz for some reason it wont when i click boot from usb drive i installed win10 in the "boot from efi file methode" and it worked i think that the issue is while installing the bootloader

No @Brickwizard, you're wrong...M$ is not the developer of UEFI.
UEFI is a...kind of project, where are many promoters.

In HP 6530b Compaq's case there are... HP , Intel and M$.

That is a M$ thing, just because Micro$$$$$$oft came later at the consumer level of understanding or perceiving, as the daddy of all things or mommy who always shows you the SAFEST way when playing;)

Secure Boot? Really...in 2008(or what year) ?
Hmm.. I wonder what kind of Secure Boot that is:rolleyes:
I heard stories about people not been able to install Linux on Hp Laptops.

It could be a HP mom or a M$ mom....or a combined work :p
Of course...this is valid just in case that protocol exist on that bios, set by the moms purposely.

@newguy -- Yesterday I forgot to warn you or tell you that, if you're not comfortable with "tear-down" a Laptop
it's better to leave my workaround, because you can do harm, break it or 'close it up' in a non functional state
Take the MemTest 86 option...
If the pc freezes only when installing Linux, that is not a memory faulty stick.
It is then a bios setting workaround.
nah i am gud with opening laptop

btw once i ran a memtest
then i turned off my pc and it wont boot so i tried unplugging and plugging a ram stick and it booted
then i selected the "boot form usb hard drive" option and it actually worked and i installed fedora sucessfuly
wich means if i can fix the problem of my pc not booting from usb when i choose that option then problem solved

and btw stop recomending linux lite if i want something lightweight (wich i do) i would go with arch (ik how to install it the "HARD WAY")

If you only have 2 gb ram, try Mint LMDE, Linux Lite, or one of the other distributions suitable for minimal resource
Note that @Brickwizard specifically said IF you only have 2gb ram etc etc....linux lite etc
So, please accept his suggestion in the spirit it was given.

Have you seen a MOK error/window etc during your attempts at boot up ?

I am not sure if this is pertinent to your particular model. I encountered it recently on a hp 250....which I think is from around 2011.
I ticked the box to enable mok and all has been well since.

I have not had time to research your particular model, hence me asking if you have encountered it yourself while trying to get it booted
There appears to be some connection with Linux as well. Again, I have had insufficient time to research this properly.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts