`firmware-updater` on Ubuntu 24.04 (for Workstations)

blunix

Reaction score
Credits
Have you tried the tool firmware-updater, which I found on 24.04.

I noticed the new Ubuntu gives me notifications once a day, that I can install updates for my Intel management engine (read: NSA spy engine), my BIOS and even the firmware of my SSD.

Seems there is a tool now called firmware-updater (at least thats how you launch it from the command line). You seemingly have to run this as non-root. It shows you hardware for which it can install new firmware.

I did this for all the devices it listed and that had updates on an old thinkpad x250. After this I had to reboot, for the EFI it took more than one "install + reboot" but in the end it updated everything.

Definitely worth a look I think!

If you don't have this in your distro, then I assume this tool is available with a Ubuntu 24.04 USB / Live stick as well (haven't tried but would assume so, or you can install it).

It's not clear why we need a second one.
I noticed the new Ubuntu gives me notifications once a day, that I can install updates for my Intel management engine (read: NSA spy engine), my BIOS and even the firmware of my SSD.
Why indeed, wold a second one be necessary/sought after ?.....and sought after by whom ?

This isn't a new application, though popping up with firmware update notifications is a new thing.

I think...

I think this is also one of those tools that requires UEFI instead of legacy BIOS.

I could have sworn that I wrote an article about it, but I guess I didn't.

This isn't a new application,
Why are there two ?....is the 'first' one deficient in some way ?

A cursory glance at fwupd's page shows no problems....it runs in Linux Mint with no dramas

from @kghose.....Seems to be a snap. https://snapcraft.io/install/firmware-updater/ubuntu I've disabled snap and I found the existing fwupd service running.

Last edited:
I think this is also one of those tools that requires UEFI instead of legacy BIOS.

it also promptet me to update the firmware of the SSD thats in the laptop. Thats quite fancy.

Idk I was never prompted to do that before. Certainly quite handy.

Why are there two ?

Buggered if I know, but my general answer for that sort of question is, "Because it's Linux. There are always multiple ways to accomplish something."

Reading that issue, tells me this....below

hence why ubuntu has found another firmware updater

For example change its expiration date back and forth: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/updating-gpg-keys-for-fedora-and-rhel (scroll to "GnuPG 2.x" section)
@marmarek: That blog post has a number of errors. I reported them to the author, and they basically told me they won't fix them.

....which interestingly put Linux Mint in the hot seat.....they now have a firmware updater which is on the skids...

Members online