Dual booting Linux and Windows 7

Whichever distribution you choose, if you don't like the DE it comes with , then you can change it,
as we do not know the spec of your laptop, I will assume its something around 2012 vintage with a dual-core intel CPU, it may only have 2 gb ram [which will restrict your choices]
this is not a recommendation but a suggestion.....something that will run on 2gb and be moderately easy to use is MINT LMDE [ I use this on my old laptop] https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
It's a 32 bit dual core 2.3 GHZ processor, with 4 gigs of ram.

Whichever distribution you choose, if you don't like the DE it comes with , then you can change it,
I have only bad experiences with changing DE's on existing system, because by doing so a lot of leftover stuff if you decide to remove the other one.
Also one DE might interfere with other's settings if keeping both, this sounds odd but I had this problem too so I'm not fan of this method.

OK. Then it sound like Mint/KDE is as good as anything. Do I get the option of choosing the desktop environment during the installation of Mint?
It seems not according to what @Brickwizard said, you'll have to install KDE after Mint is installed.

If you want KDE as first and only DE, I'd suggest Debian.
The only problem with Debian is that it's software is "out of date" for stability reasons. you'll get only security updates.

You'll hardly have any needs to troubleshoot anything on Debian for above reason - because it's stable system.

32 bit dual core 2.3 GHZ processor

How certain are you that this is 32 bit? (That'd be a fairly rare CPU if it was that fast and dual-core.)

32 bit is going to really, really limit your access to distros.

It's a 32 bit dual core 2
32 bit is all but dead, there is little choice, LMDE ,Anti-x, Debian Slax, open SUSE, and sparky are a few that still support 32 bit [but from what i have read, that support will end next year]

How certain are you that this is 32 bit? (That'd be a fairly rare CPU if it was that fast and dual-core.
Agreed but if its an E4**** series they were often paired with 32 bit motherboards in entry level machines
BUT of course if he uses LMDE then it will automatically install as 64 bit if the machine is capable of running it or 32 bit if not

Agreed but if its an E4**** series they were often paired with 32 bit motherboards in entry level machines

Yeah, it could happen. It's just not normal, so I figured we'd better make sure.

I have only bad experiences with changing DE's on existing system, because by doing so a lot of leftover stuff if you decide to remove the other one.
Also one DE might interfere with other's settings if keeping both, this sounds odd but I had this problem too so I'm not fan of this method.

It seems not according to what @Brickwizard said, you'll have to install KDE after Mint is installed.

If you want KDE as first and only DE, I'd suggest Debian.
The only problem with Debian is that it's software is "out of date" for stability reasons. you'll get only security updates.

You'll hardly have any needs to troubleshoot anything on Debian for above reason - because it's stable system.
But didn't you say that Debian has a steeper learning curve for Windows user? or .....

BUT of course if he uses LMDE then it will automatically install as 64 bit if the machine is capable of running it or 32 bit if not
Well, that's what the control panel reported it as ... 32 bit.

But didn't you say that Debian has a steeper learning curve for Windows user? or .....
Debian certainly does not have steeper learning curve, it's just less "shiny" compared to other distros.
By "shiny" I mean for instance Windows 11 is shiny compared to Windows 7 which is due to shiny UI and shiny software that looks modern and cool.
In that sense Debian is not modern or cool.

Debian is most often used for servers and for people who value stability.
The time when Debian becomes difficult to use and troubleshoot is when you don't do things "Debian's way", to understand what this means I'd have to write a lot here but if you're interested there is documentation that explains the mistery behind it:

You decode for yourself, please don't listen to me, but if I were again to choose a Linux distro it would again be debian, I just love 99% of it. but that's just me.

Last edited:
Well, that's what the control panel reported it as ... 32 bit.
As i said before, if you download LMDE from the link i have given you, write it as a bootable USB and try it, if your computer is 64 bit it will load 64 bit, if your computer is only 32bit, it will load as a 32 bit system.
the only other thing to consider, if it is pre 2010 it may not be USB bootable

Debian certainly does not have steeper learning curve, it's just less "shiny" compared to other distros.
By "shiny" I mean for instance Windows 11 is shiny compared to Windows 7 which is not due to shiny UI and shiny software that looks modern and cool.
In that sense Debian is not modern or cool.

Debian is most often used for servers and for people who value stability.
The time when Debian becomes difficult to use and troubleshoot is when you don't do things "Debian's way", to understand what this means I'd have to write a lot here but if you're interested there is documentation that explains the mistery behind it:

You decode for yourself, please don't listen to me, but if I were again to choose a Linux distro it would again be debian, I just love 99% of it. but that's just me.
Oh, well, I don't care about shiny or cool. I want clear and simple. I'm not good with command lines either. I'll look at the url.
....... john

I don't know why people won't do things the easy way...I have a win 7 VM and not only does it work great...I never have problems.
1713241403287.gif

Oh, well, I don't care about shiny or cool. I want clear and simple. I'm not good with command lines either
if you want it plain and simple, follow my how do I install guide [link below this will work for 90% of machines] you may have to run a few short terminal codes to install some legacy drivers, its not hard if you follow instructions, I still suggest you use Mint LMDE as per my link earlier, most of the apps you will need are included, and the Cinnamon DE is designed for point and click for ease of use.

I dislike Windows 10. It's very user 'unfriendly', difficult to customize, and insists on reverting back to it's own settings. How about my desktop (Windows 7) should it be more amenable to Linux?
You shouldn't be running an end of life OS that is connected to the internet, period.

that will not tell us if it has a 32 bit motherboard
I'm not sure I understand, can 64 bit CPU be installed on 32 bit motherboard?
I assume you're referring to mobo socket?

Reason why I ask the OP to share this output is because it's easy to confuse Windows bitness with CPU bitness from UI report and also because 32bit OS can be installed on 64 bit CPU which makes it possible to misread what's said in control panel in windows.

I'm not sure I understand, can 64 bit CPU be installed on 32 bit motherboard?
OK a bit of history for you, when AMD came out with the first 64 bit processors they were backward compatible with 32 bit motherboards, It was not uncommon for entry level laptops/desktops to have a 64 bit core cpu in a 32 bit motherboards [I have delt with many over the years, mainly Asus, Acer,HP and early media-star, [ give me 5 bucks for everyone I have had across my bench in the past , and i will be able to afford a good refurbished 2 yr old, 19" dell lappy]
When 64 bit motherboards became the norm, it was still not uncommon for entry level machines to come with Windows 32 bit, this was as much a marketing ploy as MS supplied the bulk licences for the 32 bit cheap, and if you wanted to upgrade to 64 bit you had to pay full price for a new licence.

@CaffeineAddict are you in the UK... if so you may also remember a range of computers made and sold by tiny computers from north-west England, you never knew what components they had in them until they went wrong [which was often] and you stripped one down, in the trade we referred to them not as TINY but as TOUGH ITS NOW YOURS

Staff online

Latest posts