Dislike to Linux

Reaction score
Credits
I am beginning to dislike Linux more and more. Everything is an issue. very few of the solutions you see everywhere actually work, and then you find out yourself that there is a much easier solution. The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux, and am then told it is all about the kernel you run, something I never used to worry about. Everybody is scratching in their own sandbox, and use terminology you have no sense of.
The latest is my Linux just reboots at will when watching movies from an external usb drive. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. Any pointers?
The rest is now working fine. Sound, scanner, printer, font sizes, appearance, desktop slide show etc. But nothing came easy, unfortunately.

I don't know how I would feel about Linux if I had issues with the computer but the installation was almost flawless from the beginning, more then 3 years ago

Try Debian

Its hard to answer your questions without knowing the exact issues, but you sound like you've been asking questions a lot and now it feels like the "asking" will never stop.
Are you using Ubuntu?
Theres a big jumping around about "which distro to use". Just use Ubuntu. It has the largest (end) user base and the best documentation for end-users. Most things work out of the box, but if you have fancy printers or other devices, this might be an issue..
I run Ubuntu myself and most everything works right away.
Debian is more for servers in my opinion, or if you want a mostly FOSS os on your workstation because its important to you for whatever reason.

I'll add to the above that you can usually also use an official Ubuntu flavor. You still get access to the documentation and it's largely the same as it is with Ubuntu itself. This gives you room to at least pick a different desktop environment.

The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux,
Do you really expect drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux to work ootb >?

Would you expect drivers/programmes from Linux to work ootb in Windows?

I have been using Linux mint since around 2014/2015.....various versions to stay up to date, of course......and I can honestly say that in that time I have never manually installed a driver. (I have also never had a stand alone graphics card)

programmes/apps....In Linux Mint (and probably also in Ubuntu0 there are something in the order of 50,000 of them available.

If it is a matter of using something that you become used to using windows, then you may find an alternative at alternaiveto.net ....which will do the job in Linux.
If you actually expect a windows .exe to somehow work In linux/ubuntu..////,.....forget it.

An attitude adjustment is necessary.

Linux is not windows.

When we start learning to use Linux...the most important thing is to forget windoze because Linux isn't windoze.

I've been running Mint Cinnamon for almost 9 years and have never installed any drivers for anything...I have a near new Graphics Card...the Software Manager tells me when a new driver is available...not to mention Browsers and software too.
m1213.gif

Speaking of .gz files...in nearly 9 years the number of these files I've installed can be counted on one hand. Installing .deb files are simple...download double click the .deb file and click...install package...how hard is that.
m1204.gif

We all have to learn and once we get the hang of it that's when we realise it wasn't that hard after all. You don't have to know everything...only how to get out of trouble.
1711173247744.gif

Last edited:
I am beginning to dislike Linux more and more. Everything is an issue. very few of the solutions you see everywhere actually work, and then you find out yourself that there is a much easier solution. The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux, and am then told it is all about the kernel you run, something I never used to worry about. Everybody is scratching in their own sandbox, and use terminology you have no sense of.
The latest is my Linux just reboots at will when watching movies from an external usb drive. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. Any pointers?
The rest is now working fine. Sound, scanner, printer, font sizes, appearance, desktop slide show etc. But nothing came easy, unfortunately.
Good Morning Erik,
Please do not get discouraged with Linux.
Believe me, it took me several months to get adjusted to doing things the Linux way.
Once I did, it became much easier.
I was a Windows guy for the first 15 years of my computering. When I switched to Linux as my main machine, I had a lot to unlearn. It took quite a while, and much study to learn about Linux.
I'm not a computer geek, nor have I had to use a computer in the work-place. I've had experience with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It took a while to learn those three programs. {We sometimes forget how long it took to learn Windows}.
Learning is something that never ends as long as we live, or shouldn't.
Hang in there! Patience is the key.
Old Geezer
TC

My first year with Linux was a learning process too and I ran into things, but I still dual-booted for the first two years I think. I can't remember since it's about 15 years ago since I first started with Linux and back then driver problems were still more of a problem and some things a lot harder to get working and using scripts to install Nvidia drivers or manually installing Nvidia drivers. I currently think for myself Linux is easy, compared to how things are now but that's also because Linux is normal for me now.

I think Linux has gotten easier and that's a good thing. Most things that people run into will probably be growing pains of learning a new os with exceptions for specific software like Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office etc and some exceptions for hardware like RGB devices, VR devices and some professional hardware that aren't used by the average person for example some sound hardware used by content creators.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. As a user of the other system since inception, and the lack of finances or will to buy a new laptop, I was not looking for better, but just something that works to extend the life of my laptop.

Erik
your biggest problem is mindset, you are very much like one of my mates, used windows for so long [and nothing else] he can't see through the windows to the brighter outside, OK learning how to install applications[ programs as windows call them] and missing drivers, will take a while to get use to, changing from Photoshop to gimp will take time, But the everyday point and click computing that 95% of Windows users do, is the same with Mint/Ubuntu/Debian and many other distributions. Just give yourself time,

Just use Ubuntu. It has the largest (end) user base and the best documentation for end-users.

I have to disagree in that regard. Although I began my Linux journey with Ubuntu in 2011, the (initially Unity and then) Desktop aka GNOME version is by no means a user-friendly environment for someone coming from Windows.
As for documentation, MX-Linux has both an FAQ and a Help Manual on its desktop, and Linux Lite has a User Guide on its desktop.

I run over 80 Linux distributions, and most of them do not have that ready assistance.

Also, with Linux Mint, if you leave the Welcome Screen to show up every time you boot (I do), it has this

ZL3C7iA.png

I have no agenda to push, I enjoy all of my Distros, but I would say, in no particular order that
  • MX-Linux
  • Linux Lite and
  • Linux Mint
are easily the most user-friendly to learn with.

Wizard

Thanks for all the aid and assistance. In the end I made an ISO image from scratch and started all over with Linux Mint Cinnamon on my Lenovo W530 laptop, using everything I have learned and solved all of my issues so far. Now just to clone my SSD to an external usb HDD unless Linux has a recovery point like my previous OS. Remember, I was not looking for better, faster, more this or more that. I just need to extend the life of my perfectly good laptop, which the other OS 11 does not allow me to do. Also, I do not find that Linux is actually faster, but I can live with it.

Good morning Erik,
I believe the program you are looking for is called Timeshift.
1711453516701.png

If I remember correctly Windows has one called SystemRestore.
I used to use SR quite a bit.
After using TS for a few years, I find that I like it better; mainly because I have full control over it. I can use any external disk I want to save whatever I want. I get to decide how and when and where to save copies of my OS. {I can also include my personal material - documents, pictures, etc.}.
Because I can do things the way I want to, I can rest assured that I get what I want.

I believe that Timeshift is already installed in Linux Mint Cinnamon. {I have LM 21.3 MATE on my machine} Open it up and look at all the features listed:
Create, Restore, Delete, Browse, Settings, Wizard and Menu.

Like I said, you are in control of what you want to do. You get to choose.
Once you learn how it works, I think you will be impressed, favorably.

Your friend,
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Good morning Erik,
I believe the program you are looking for is called Timeshift.
View attachment 19105
If I remember correctly Windows has one called SystemRestore.
I used to use SR quite a bit.
After using TS for a few years, I find that I like it better; mainly because I have full control over it. I can use any external disk I want to save whatever I want. I get to decide how and when and where to save copies of my OS. {I can also include my personal material - documents, pictures, etc.}.
Because I can do things the way I want to, I can rest assured that I get what I want.

I believe that Timeshift is already installed in Linux Mint Cinnamon. {I have LM 21.3 MATE on my machine} Open it up and look at all the features listed:
Create, Restore, Delete, Browse, Settings, Wizard and Menu.

Like I said, you are in control of what you want to do. You get to choose.
Once you learn how it works, I think you will be impressed, favorably.

Your friend,
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie
You won't believe this. Looked around in timeshift, wanted to change my display settings, couldn't find what i needed and rebooted. Get a message unable to launch cinnamon - session-cinnamonX session not found
Falling back to default session.Which of course it does not do! Have to go through the whole reinstallation again!

I am beginning to dislike Linux more and more. Everything is an issue.

I'm just wondering why you're even bothering with Linux?
The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux,

You can't put a square peg in round hole. Linux and Windows are different from the ground up.

Based on my limited experience with Linux, you shouldn't even need to download and install drivers. I recently installed a higher end GPU for gaming. The drivers that downloaded with Linux work better than the propriatary ones did. On top of that, I didn't have to download them. Linux did it for me.

Programs? Again, you can't put a square peg in a round hole. Get Wine.

and am then told it is all about the kernel you run,

After years of threats, I finally ditched Windows. I'm just now learning about a new OS. The only problems I was dealing with had nothing to do with Linux. The harddrive failed on one of my laptops. There have been no problems on my tower. I don't have any of the problems your having and I haven't needed to learn anything about kernals.
The latest is my Linux just reboots at will when watching movies from an external usb drive.

This doesn't sound like a problem with the OS itself. Given all the problems you're trying to address with an apparantly elementary understanding of Linux, I can think of a few reasons why this might be happening.

You've been trying to install drivers and programs with little or no understanding of how to do it or if what your trying to do will work. You may have changed something in the system that is causing your problems.

Are the drivers you have for Linux or Windows?

Did you verify the Linux installations files when you downloaded them? Did you get them from a reputable website?

This could be a hardware related.

From my experience, damage on the MOBO can casue seemingly unrelated problems. A failed intergrated graphics card prevented the entire system from booting up at all. A graphics card fixed everything. What does a graphics card have to do with booting up?

A failing HDD could be causing your problems.

There are a multitude of things that could be causing this that have nothing to do with Linux.

Run diagnostic tests on your hard ware. I would suggest doing it in UEFI. Not the desktop.

Any pointers?

Every single person I've met here is in love with Linux and for very good reason. They are very friendly. Starting off a question with incessant complaints isn't a good way to get help.

GO BACK TO WINDOZE.

I won't repeat what others have said but all of them are right.

I have a dislike for windoze and big brother...so I did something about it and is the best thing I ever did...there's no excuse not to learn if you really want to.
t2040.gif

You won't believe this. Looked around in timeshift, wanted to change my display settings, couldn't find what i needed and rebooted. Get a message unable to launch cinnamon - session-cinnamonX session not found
Falling back to default session.Which of course it does not do! Have to go through the whole reinstallation again!

Why on earth would you be looking around in Timeshift to change your display settings???

I'm brand new to Linux. This is a no-brainer for me.

I promise I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe you should take everything to a professional.

Members online

Latest posts