bad gateway error 502

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
Not sure where to put this but for the last few days I get the dreaded cloudflare "Bad Gateway error 502" attempting to get to this site. It is about 35% to 45% of the time so it is not constant but very common. If I keep trying about a dozen or more times I will get back in if I get the error at all. Seems like something wrong with Linux.org? I have tried different browsers and computers. No other web sites have issue.

It's sort of just bad timing on your part, if you're seeing it that often.

Somewhere, there's a giant thread on the subject. The above link is a monitoring service that checks https://linux.org for specific text every minute. Outages lasting less than a minute might slip through the cracks.

Last 24 hours uptime:98.5417% (98.5417%)
Last 7 days uptime:99.1071% (99.1071%)
Last 30 days uptime:99.3171% (99.3171%)
2024 uptime:99.6597% (99.6597%)
Total uptime:99.6225% (99.6225%)

I must have alot of bad timing lately or are you saying we are under a dos attack because the thread was fairly old.

are you saying we are under a dos attack
We had a couple of serious downtimes last year due to DDoS attacks .Access protocols were increased by our webmaster, which reduced the problem, but this also meant members had to jump through an extra hoop or two to log in, for a week or so.
I have hit a couple of bad spots in the last couple of days , but they have only lasted a minute or so each

yes they are not terrible, just annoying that I can't get in when I want. Main concern was that it got so frequent this week that I wondered if something might be wrong on the web server end. although it could just be one of the band-aids that holds the technology together with the ISP might have slipped.

The problem of outage of the linux.org website has been much greater than the claimed "overall uptime" of ~99.6%. That 99.6% would suggest that the website has only been down for around 6 minutes in a day, but that simply is not the case here where it's been down for as long as 10 minutes, several times a day lately.

The discrepancy might have something to do with the intermittent nature of the way in which the checking of uptime, and what it is actually checking, is made, but I can't say anything about that.

The problem of outage of the linux.org website has been much greater than the claimed "overall uptime" of ~99.6%. That 99.6% would suggest that the website has only been down for 6 minutes in a day, but that simply is not the case here where it's been down for as long as 10 minutes, several times a day lately.

The discrepancy might have something to do with the intermittent nature of the way in which the checking of uptime is made, but I can't say anything about that.
what you described is exactly what I am experiencing. nice to know I am not suffering alone.

The problem of outage of the linux.org website has been much greater than the claimed "overall uptime" of ~99.6%. That 99.6% would suggest that the website has only been down for 6 minutes in a day, but that simply is not the case here where it's been down for as long as 10 minutes, several times a day lately.
That is also my experience.

Not sure where to put this but for the last few days I get the dreaded cloudflare "Bad Gateway error 502" attempting to get to this site. It is about 35% to 45% of the time so it is not constant but very common. If I keep trying about a dozen or more times I will get back in if I get the error at all. Seems like something wrong with Linux.org? I have tried different browsers and computers. No other web sites have issue.
I've been getting it periodically throughout the day as well

This happens all the time...it's worse when you're in the middle of writing a post...don't see this elsewhere too.
1715819381387.gif

Just got this now...
1715825627927.png

Bad gateway should become a member.
1715825767114.gif

I'm having same problem with this site pretty often, bad gateway error.
Sometimes the error is stuck on cloudflare sometimes on host (linux.org).

I see the bad gateway error much more often than I should (which would be "never") and just assumed it was because some (non-foss) web server software (or database backend) was exceeding its licensed number of concurrent connections. This (possibly wildly erroneous) idea seemingly supported by the error almost always clearing up on the first or second retry.

If not something like that then I would suspect some issue with cloudflare, though I have no experience with cloudflare.

I did get the error when trying to save a post a few hours ago, but the it was ok on the first retry. The longest I've ever had it continue on was about five minutes or so.

Lastly... did anyone besides me have an almost uncontrollable urge to actually create new member ID named "Bad Gateway" after seeing #13 above? Or am I just a really messed up unit? :)

If not something like that then I would suspect some issue with cloudflare, though I have no experience with cloudflare.

It's pretty much that we have crappy hosting underneath all of this, I'm pretty sure.

Lastly... did anyone besides me have an almost uncontrollable urge to actually create new member ID named "Bad Gateway" after seeing #13 above? Or am I just a really messed up unit? :)
b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

in all seriousness I have seen cloudflare do this to other sites but not as bad as what is happening here. I blame cloudflare.

Members online