xdg-desktop-portal eating up memory

Sueno1123

Reaction score
Credits
xdg-desktop-portal insists on running itself in the background and consuming copious amounts of memory. I do not use any flatpaks, and the only reason I can't uninstall xdg-desktop-portal is steam. xdg-desktop-portal runs even when steam isn't.

screenshot-2023-07-22-12-54-44.png

Here's what that looks like in btop. I've caught it using 3.2G of memory in the past, almost bricking my computer. I can't find any reason why this happens, and nothing online seems pertinent to my particular case.

Info:
Kernel: 6.1.38-1-MANJARO
WM: bspwm, previously KDE Plasma

Thank you for your time.

xdg-desktop-portal insists on running itself in the background and consuming copious amounts of memory. I do not use any flatpaks, and the only reason I can't uninstall xdg-desktop-portal is steam. xdg-desktop-portal runs even when steam isn't.

View attachment 16420

Here's what that looks like in btop. I've caught it using 3.2G of memory in the past, almost bricking my computer. I can't find any reason why this happens, and nothing online seems pertinent to my particular case.

Info:
Kernel: 6.1.38-1-MANJARO
WM: bspwm, previously KDE Plasma

Thank you for your time.
I am not 100% sure, but maybe that could be a memory leak? Are there any other apps on your system using a lot memory? Memory leaks usually happen when an app fails to release the memory that is no longer used, often times rebooting or killing the process frees up the memory.

I also looked on my system, and I am using a lot less memory on the xdg-desktop-portal, if that is any help.

Some people who are launching Steam had issues with Steam crashing because of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome being installed, they weren't even using Gnome as a DE.
Now I know you aren't running a DE but a stand alone window manager but I think it would still be worth a try to remove xdg-desktop-portal-gnome from your system, as it could be that the problem mentioned and the problem you are having are related. Since Manjaro is based on Arch you should be able just to remove the package by running the following.
Code:
sudo pacman -Rs xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

because of xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
I just checked, I don't have xdg-desktop-portal-gnome installed. I have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk and xdg-desktop-portal. Those two run at the same time, but only the latter appears to be leaking memory. It has nothing to do with steam, it does it on its own. I rarely use steam anyway. It's been going on for months.

any other apps on your system using a lot memory
The browser, Vivaldi, but that's to be expected. Unless of course you count the occasional tab that leaks and crashes the system. I don't think it's connected, though.

I just caught it using 4.1G! (and they call me bad??)

On Debian here with Linux 6.5.0-5-amd64 and xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 44.2-4 (from testing & unstable repos but I never seen this behavior before and this version's been installed since Jan 28). This was only after 5 days of running, too.

Fortunately, a systemctl --user reload-or-restart xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service didn't disrupt anything and brought its usage down to 85.8M for now, a ~98% reduction! greedy much?

Will have to keep an eye on it now and perhaps schedule regular reload-or-restart jobs until this gets patched.

Members online