Windows screwed me over, want to try Linux.

somewhathandsome

Reaction score
Credits
Long story short I upgraded my PC, Windows revoked my digital license due to the hardware difference and now wants me to pony up AGAIN to use their services(and more importantly remove that goddamn watermark). Decided to make the right choice and pick Linux.

My PC build is pretty modest: gtx1070 and a ryzen 5 3600. It was built on a budget to be able to play games and am currently looking for a distro that can play all of my games that are in Steam, Epic, GOG, and Indiegala. Basically have all the bells and whistles that a Windows PC could have without Microsoft trying to f**k you over.

I am open to try out multiple distros until I can find the right one for me. The closer it looks and "feels" like Windows 10 the happier I'll feel trying it out.

Appreciate any other advice or tricks to help me have an easier transition!

Welcome to the forums.
Linux is not windows, please do not think it is a direct replacement, Any of the main distributions will run steam and other Linux gaming apps,
You will be on a learning curve, how steep you make it is up to you, so sit back, kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride

I am open to try out multiple distros until I can find the right one for me. The closer it looks and "feels" like Windows 10 the happier I'll feel trying it out.
If you are looking for a similar experience to Windows and not expect to learn to work with Linux because Linux works different, then just stick with Windows because if you don't you are going to be disappointed.

I also use Linux Mint. I am on a Dell desktop Optiplex 3020. While indeed not Windows I find it much easier to learn an master.
Always,
Wildman

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Linux isn't windoze as Linux is so much better in many ways.
m1211.gif

The best thing is the freedom to do whatever you like on your own computer...no big brother either. If you want to play windoze games you could use Virtualbox depending on how much Ram you have.
m1272.gif

Hello @somewhathandsome
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, enjoy the journey!
Hope you will find the right distro for you. There are many good ones and you be able to use steam on most of them.

It was built on a budget to be able to play games and am currently looking for a distro that can play all of my games that are in Steam, Epic, GOG, and Indiegala.
Welcome to the forums.

If this is your top priority and the thing you plan to do the most with your computer, then you are better off remaining on Windows. There are other forums and places with written material, and Youtube videos and stuff like that, which attempt (in vain) to blur the lines between Linux and Windows. As someone else has already said here, Linux is not Windows! If the expectation is really high to get functionality just like Windows, they will have to be lowered somewhat.

Wine/Crossover is a brilliant solution but leans more toward older 32-bit technology. When compatibility with Windows10 and Windows11 comes into play, it starts falling short. Blame M$ for this, and if it's not good enough, again, you should consider staying with Windows or keep a bit more patience when it doesn't work.

Gamers are a demanding bunch, just like the machines they use. :)

If you want to play games you will be better with Windows as not all games play on Linux and some which do play they may have issues. Just pay them what they ask and save yourself a hassle. Be aware that the long term Linux users they are mostly not gamers

Linux is not windows,
If you are looking for a similar experience to Windows and not expect to learn to work with Linux because Linux works different, then just stick with Windows because if you don't you are going to be disappointed.
An old article but right on target.

Long story short I upgraded my PC, Windows revoked my digital license due to the hardware difference and now wants me to pony up AGAIN to use their services(and more importantly remove that goddamn watermark). Decided to make the right choice and pick Linux.

My PC build is pretty modest: gtx1070 and a ryzen 5 3600. It was built on a budget to be able to play games and am currently looking for a distro that can play all of my games that are in Steam, Epic, GOG, and Indiegala. Basically have all the bells and whistles that a Windows PC could have without Microsoft trying to f**k you over.

Appreciate any other advice or tricks to help me have an easier transition!
Not all Steam games will run natively on Linux. The game needs to be designated for Linux.

There is a app called playonlinux that gives one wine witch has a bunch of Windows apps available. I am not very good at explaing this and suggest searching this. Perhaps someone here has more knowledge of this.
Always,

Members online