Why CentOS Stream is bad? The reason for Source Code restiriction? [Your opinions]

eronis

Reaction score
Credits
I have been reading about how everyone is running away from Stream and ranting about how Red Hat ruined Cent OS and so on. I can understand the outrage since it changes life cycle of distro which is kind of a big deal. What I mean by that is, people are talking as if Cent OS Stream is Arch Linux. As far as I am aware, Cent OS Stream is a very solid project. It also has some (arguable) advantages over traditional Cent OS model.

What I am wondering is;

1. Does this change break anything?

2. Do you think Cent OS Stream has become a lesser quality product with more bugs and problems?

Hannah Knight from MakeUseOf seems to think so;
Despite Red Hat's move to restrict the RHEL source code, developers will still be able to learn about recent developments in RHEL by analyzing CentOS Stream—a Red Hat-owned distribution that exists upstream of RHEL.

The code used in CentOS Stream is unfortunately unstable and actively in development, but it will provide valuable insight for third-party developers going forward.

Let's be level headed about this topic in discussion as I see people get really emotional about FOSS. I appreciate your passion, but let's be civil here :)

PS: I found some funny news about source code restriction as well. It seems Oracle are the "good guys" now :p

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like Oracle Linux and Euro Linux are the main problem here. Think about it. Red Hat funds and releases the source code. Rocky Linux takes the code and makes another distro? No problem so far. Red Hat encouraged that until now. Then some other company starts making money from your product and stealing your customers? I think that's the problem Red Hat had with how his source code is used.

Last edited:

Basically how it is setup CentOS Stream is comparable to Debian testing branch, that is why most people don't really want to use it. Although I've read that all the patches in CentOS Stream have gone through QA and will go into the next release of RHEL, but I'm not sure how true that is and I find it hard to take Red Hat's word for it after this recent event and the one before that.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.