Which filesystem is better

zhangxuab

Reaction score
Credits
i have a removable device and i try to install linux there.
which filesystem is faster? im using SSD

I think I heard about one file system faster then ext4, but it(the faster one) has to be supported by that distro.
Otherwise you have to do a "build from scratch" type of install.

Later edit: Could be BtrFS, not sure though.

Last edited:
I have Easy OS as a frugal install onto a USB flash drive and it uses ext4 partition without problems.

Ext4 has the advantage of being mature, well tested and reliable. It's also the default file-system on most Linux distributions.

Btrfs probably performs slightly better than ext4 in some ways. It has some great features, but it is relatively new and has been known to have a few issues.

Personally, I'd stick with the default ext4 filesystem.

Here's a link from a few years ago that compares a few different file-systems:

Last edited:
I think my next journey will be a btrfs one.
Thanks!

Btrfs probably performs slightly better than ext4 in some ways. It has some great features, but it is relatively new and has been known to have a few issues.
I've been using btrfs for several years now without any issues, btrfs seems to only cause issues for certain use cases such as raid setup. I have seen a few kernel bugs come across that caused problems for btrfs and ext4(or xfs, can't remember which) filesystems.

Here's a link from a few years ago that compares a few different file-systems:
Some things I knew about btrfs and are things to discuss about it, and maybe even for the features.
After running smartmontools few days ago, thanks to @Alexzee I think. Saw 3 CRC_Error_Count.
I said to myself...well you didn't test your new ram with MemTest86, I put those three CRC_Errors on ext4's shoulders, moved on.

Reading today your linked article, was something like a revelation, but it raised other questions.
Can btrfs do what ext4 can't?...or those errors will always be due to a "old age" or time aged(well-worn) SSD.
No money for a MLC ssd, so I had to go with TLC.

and i gotta install archlinux in it. so can i use f2fs?(now using ext4, but too slow)