Which distro supports 32bit touchscreen devices ?

Aneng

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I've got an old J2 580 touchscreen EPOS PC in my kitchen that I sometimes use for displaying recipes, playing music etc whilst I cook, but it's super-slow. It's got a Celeron M 1.5GHz CPU and 2GB RAM running Windows 8.1 at the moment. I want to speed it up and thought maybe Linux might be the way to go. I did experiment with this a long while ago but never found a distro that would work with the touchscreen. I've read that most distros nowadays support touchscreens, but I'm not sure if that means they'll support an older resistive type touchscreen. If there is something out there that will, I chuck an SSD in it and Bob's your Mother's brother. The manual for the unit is here if it helps; https://www.manualslib.com/manual/901021/J2-580.html

Thanks very much for any advice.

Unusual to find a shop counter machine in a domestic setting, In theory any modern Linux should work on touch screens as the codex for the touch screen are part of the Linux kernel, one of the light builds will run fastest on your hardware but the choice of 32 bit systems is shrinking as many have or are in the process of dropping the 32 bit support. try Puppy [x86-32bit version] , Emmabuntis, Opensuse or any other you fancy, out of the box I would expect puppy to be the easiest to set up [and one of the fastest]

Last edited:

Latest posts