What's the best Linux distro for a beginner?

G'day xpi, and Welcome to linux.org

I have to ask question in answer to your question.

Your Pc/laptop.......give us the specs....model/brand.cpu/ram/hard drive/.....the whole caboodle

Then, and only then, can we give you some idea

Hi, I too have the same question .. my pc specfications

Motherboard: ASUS P5PE-VM
Processor: Intel Celeron D 331 with Core Speed as 2.66GHz
Bus Speed : 133.5 MHz
Rated FSB: 534.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 256 KB
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., Version 1203 Date: 2007-Jan-22
Memory1: DDR 1024 MB PC2700 (166MHz)
Memory2: DDR 0256 MB PC3200 (200MHz)
Total RAM = Memory1 + Memory2 = 1024+0256 = 1280 MB
Kindly suggest the best Linux Distro for this pc specificiation

I have installed Zorin OS (64 bit), but find that too slow ... so would like to know your recommendations / suggestions

@akbimal

When you have two pieces of dissimilar RAM the computer will run at the lowest speed.

The motherboard takes a maximum of
2GB DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, unbuffered DDR SDRAM memory
Source - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5PEVM/specifications/

You need a lightweight distro.

Look at
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distro
https://itsubuntu.com/22-best-lightweight-linux-operating-systems-in-2020/
https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
https://www.blackdown.org/best-lightweight-linux-distros/

Try something like Lubuntu.

NOTE! You cannot install many heavyweight apps on a lightweight distro without weighing it down.

G'day xpi, and Welcome to linux.org

I have to ask question in answer to your question.

Your Pc/laptop.......give us the specs....model/brand.cpu/ram/hard drive/.....the whole caboodle

Then, and only then, can we give you some idea
Well, my PC isn't the best, but it's the first PC I built so I am happy with it.

CPU: AMD A8-7600 Quad Core (It says 4C+6G, but in task manager it says 2 cores?) clocked at 3.10GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz (Corsair)
Motherboard: Gigabyte, I can't remember the exact model number/specs of it
Storage: 1x Toshiba HDD (1TB, contains Windows); 1x Unbranded HDD (500GB, just storage)

Hope that's enough

I did install some Linux and never got much knowledge of how it works. When Linus begin to write it, it was something for hackers and servers, and for some rebels - my case. I was sick of Windows, but I was in college, out of time, and had to give up of learning Unix like systems and buy an iMac. End of story, I am newbie in Linux until today, but I have some experience, that's why I decide to give you my opinion.

Ubuntu is the name of Linux for ordinary people, it has by far the best documentation and a lot of communities around the world. It's the most adopted distribution. But I got no good stories to tell about Ubuntu and me. I only could do one single successful installation so far in my whole life, in my kid's pc gamer. I build that PC piece by piece with mostly AMD parts, and installed Windows 10 (he demand it). It was not working good, I said to my kid - it's Windows fault... he wont believe me, so I attached a SSD and installed Ubuntu for himi to try... it's real! Windows sucks! BUT, my user stop working and I have struggled with drivers, Ubuntu won't install the latest GPU driver no matter what! Ubuntu is like this. And when this kind of deep trouble happens, it's difficult to get an answer from the community, I have two opened in AskUbuntu! The size don't implies in quality!

Debian is the one I liked more, it's not so pretty, but it is smart. Got some similar problems as Ubuntu, but I have to say it has been easier to solve, maybe I am getting smart, maybe Debian is a better distribution than Ubuntu, but I will bet in the last option for you. Ubuntu and Debian are very similar, many things you do the same way. My advice is to you to "try before install" both of these one.

It depends on the beginner and his/her wants and needs.
As has been said, "try ('em all) before install," 'cause we know neither your abilities nor wants.

MODERATORS : IMO we need a sticky on this topic, otherwise it's only opinions.

Thanks for all the responses! I have looked at a few, are they good options?
  • Ubuntu
  • Kubuntu
  • Linux Mint
  • Manjaro

I too am looking refurb an old HP G2 laptop. 128GB SSD, 8gb ram , i7 2.6ghz processor. on chip graphics. Just tired of Windows. Suggestions for a distro? Not quite a beginner.

@Picklefinder ....with those specs , just about anything you wish.

Start with the tried and trusted...Linux Mint (cinnamon).....and then branch out from there if you wish to.

The thing to remember is that Linux is free....you can be using Linux Mint at breakfast time and be running Manjaro well before lunchtime......and all it has cost you is the bit of time. Keep an assortment on separate thumb drives and try them all !

I'm a beginner and I use Ubuntu. It is pretty straightforward! I don't know a lot about the other distros so I can't really help you. Had a great experience so far with Ubuntu.

@Picklefinder -- since
Not quite a beginner,
why not try the brand new AutoTux and tell us your experience. Mightily suggest reading the webpage referenced in my post beginning the thread on Autotux prior to install. Just a suggestion not for the timid. But I am trying it now and writing this on the new install.

I want to put a special plugin for Linux Lite - I am posting from it right now and I was really impressed with its documentation and how for a beginner it holds your hand and helps you to get an up and running system.

Zram - something I wasn't familiar with is useful for old machines. So yeah I reakon so far a good choice for newbies. Seems very stable.

I want to put a special plugin for Linux Lite - I am posting from it right now and I was really impressed with its documentation and how for a beginner it holds your hand and helps you to get an up and running system.
Linux Lite is an excellent choice for a new Linux user and the available documentation is very useful with explaining the necessary knowledge for a new Linux user.

Thanks for all the responses! I have looked at a few, are they good options?
  • Ubuntu
  • Kubuntu
  • Linux Mint
  • Manjaro
Yes. I have run Ubuntu, Mint, and Manjaro before it was Manjaro a long time ago. Right now, and for the past 14 +/- years, I use Kubuntu. Smooth, simple.

Hi, I too have the same question .. my pc specfications

Motherboard: ASUS P5PE-VM
Processor: Intel Celeron D 331 with Core Speed as 2.66GHz
Bus Speed : 133.5 MHz
Rated FSB: 534.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 256 KB
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., Version 1203 Date: 2007-Jan-22
Memory1: DDR 1024 MB PC2700 (166MHz)
Memory2: DDR 0256 MB PC3200 (200MHz)
Total RAM = Memory1 + Memory2 = 1024+0256 = 1280 MB
Kindly suggest the best Linux Distro for this pc specificiation
TinyCore is always my recommendation for extremely low spec systems though it isn't the most newbie friendly distribution out there.

Members online

Latest posts