What programming tools are needed to...

paul3531

Reaction score
Credits
What programming tools are needed to code a program which will do the following:

1.) Play the musical note which was assigned by me to each character of a text file, as it is "read" by an "appropriately coded program" or record those notes generated by the "appropriately coded program" to a MP3 file.

For example:

Given the text string, "B V G C T S L" , etc.,

Letter Read........Actual Musical Tone generated

B ........................ C4

V ........................ D4

G ........................ E4

C ........................ F4

T ........................ G4

S ........................ A5

L ........................ B5

etc.,

You could do this in almost any language.

Java,
C/C++
Python

I think I remeber a bash script years ago that could send different frequency sounds to the speaker output.
ffmpeg will record output from other applications. It will also convert them to mp3.

25 years ago I took two c programming classes. So, I know very little. But, I believe I can learn. I got the persistence but not the time to go for it.
My googling on the topic has just led me to discover the python EarSketch application which teaches python coding using music mixing as a motivation. Perhaps I can get it to do what I want. https://ggc-itec2120.github.io/EarSketchBook/#_introduction_to_earsketch

It's not the same, and it's probable more complex, but with Sonic Pi you can play notes and chords with so many parameters (attack, treble,...) and select a range of midi instruments. You can also create loops and very cool cycles and create very complex compositions... or not!

It's a language based on Ruby that it's just too cool to describe, so I will leave here a video of a live coding jam session by his author, Sam Aaron.

If it feels to slow at the beginning, jump to about minute 10.

The project is open source and you have binary distributions to Windows, Mac and Raspberry Pi OS. This one may seem like a barrier, but it's easy to compile for Intel processors and run on any other Linux distribution (*). Check it here: https://sonic-pi.net/

(*) It's source code repository has instructions for Debian, but I may try to build it on Fedora the next week as I got some spare time.

Last edited:
It's not the same, and it's probable more complex, but with Sonic Pi you can play notes and chords with so many parameters (attack, treble,...) and select a range of midi instruments. You can also create loops and very cool cycles and create very complex compositions... or not!

It's a language based on Ruby that it's just too cool to describe, so I will leave here a video of a live coding jam session by his author, Sam Aaron.

If it feels to slow at the beginning, jump to about minute 10.

The project is open source and you have binary distributions to Windows, Mac and Raspberry Pi OS. This one may seem like a barrier, but it's easy to compile for Intel processors and run on any other Linux distribution (*). Check it here: https://sonic-pi.net/

(*) It's source code repository has instructions for Debian, but I may try to build it on Fedora the next week as I got some spare time.
Nice. I'd like to try it out and hear a "best of" collection of other users' recordings.

Members online