what distor

T

thinkdontblink

Hi guys, Im relatively new to linux, I run ubuntu on one pc just for playing around with, But mostly I use mac for editing my photos and general stuff, I d like to run linux on my main iMac to force me to learn linux as Its a skill id like to acquire. What linux os would you recommend that is flexible enough for my to learn the inner workings of linux, While still being practical enough to suff and edit photos, ''can that be done?'' Are there any downsides to running photoshop thru ''wine'' compered to a OS X or should i just learn Gimp?.

A lot of questions but il look forward to your replies :)

Yes, a lot of questions with no clear answers. And I'd be hard pressed to give you a straight answer to any of them.
What kind of photo editing do you do? Is that your source of income? Is your lively-hood dependent on 'Photoshop'?
If you don't do advanced photo editing but rather just lighten photos, remove red eye, brush out the jackass who bombed your romantic photo by the waterfall, etc.... then yeah, GIMP should be a snap. The only 'big' change for someone like that would be finding replacements for their favorite macros and such. After all, a brush is a brush, a pen is a pen, and a plate of pad se ew is freaking' divine!!
Not knowing your Mac I can't suggest you just VirtualBox the Linux install and play from there, it might not be able to handle the overhead. But I'm about as sure that you can dual boot as I am sure that my feet smell like boiled cabbage after a long hike.

Truth is, I like Macs. They underlying code is pulled from *BSD. You get yourself a shell on that puppy (Terminal) and you can really have some fun. (I have WindowMaker installed on my MBP) :) But I'm a FreeBSD fan, typing this post using it actually.

Options options options my friend. And I guarantee you that no matter what you chose now, you'll end up going to something else. That's the nature of the bug. You switch and change and try distro after distro until you find the the one that puts the olive in your martini, the relish on your hotdog, the saltpeter on your....... ouch, anyhow.

You can always give ElementaryOS a try. It'll feel just like home to you. ;)
Or, and here is my advice, find the distro that has the best documentation for getting it to run natively on your Mac, with all the bells and whistles functioning. And if you have to ask yourself "can I get this to run in WINE", then maybe you should ask yourself "do I really want to run Linux"....
Just a thought.

Mmmm, pad se ew! :D

To force yourself to better learn Linux, I'd suggest using your other computer more often that already has Ubuntu on it. Mac's are good computers in their own right (so people tell me) so I'd say don't hose it up until you are really, really sure about Linux.

However, you can beat up that other computer in your learning experience. Erase Ubuntu and install Mint. Erase Mint and install Fedora. Erase Fedora and install Debian. Erase Debian and install openSUSE. Choose different Desktop Environments as you do this... KDE, Gnome, Mate, Cinammon, LXDE, XFCE, and others. While playing with each new OS, install some new software on it too, so you learn about package management and see the different applications that come pre-installed. Try to make each of these OS's work in a home network environment with your Mac. Networking is a great skill to acquire... add a Windows computer to the mix too, if you have one. Try compiling some software from source code, or try to compile a new Linux kernel.

Learn... by doing! Good luck!

atanere has some good thots there. Ya might wanna try "live" CDs rather than an actual install. At least you can kinda test drive it. If it seems right; install it, but; yeah, try out several distros/flavors. And do try mixing different desktops. What ever you do, have fun!

Yes, a lot of questions with no clear answers. And I'd be hard pressed to give you a straight answer to any of them.
What kind of photo editing do you do? Is that your source of income? Is your lively-hood dependent on 'Photoshop'?
If you don't do advanced photo editing but rather just lighten photos, remove red eye, brush out the jackass who bombed your romantic photo by the waterfall, etc.... then yeah, GIMP should be a snap. The only 'big' change for someone like that would be finding replacements for their favorite macros and such. After all, a brush is a brush, a pen is a pen, and a plate of pad se ew is freaking' divine!!
Not knowing your Mac I can't suggest you just VirtualBox the Linux install and play from there, it might not be able to handle the overhead. But I'm about as sure that you can dual boot as I am sure that my feet smell like boiled cabbage after a long hike.

Truth is, I like Macs. They underlying code is pulled from *BSD. You get yourself a shell on that puppy (Terminal) and you can really have some fun. (I have WindowMaker installed on my MBP) :) But I'm a FreeBSD fan, typing this post using it actually.

Options options options my friend. And I guarantee you that no matter what you chose now, you'll end up going to something else. That's the nature of the bug. You switch and change and try distro after distro until you find the the one that puts the olive in your martini, the relish on your hotdog, the saltpeter on your....... ouch, anyhow.

You can always give ElementaryOS a try. It'll feel just like home to you. ;)
Or, and here is my advice, find the distro that has the best documentation for getting it to run natively on your Mac, with all the bells and whistles functioning. And if you have to ask yourself "can I get this to run in WINE", then maybe you should ask yourself "do I really want to run Linux"....
Just a thought.
You're funny, good sir..... :D :3 But I agree!..... :D