Wanting to switch to linux

Finny_Brace

Reaction score
Credits
I'm a windows user since the day i was born, but computers are only getting faster and mine has started getting really cramped and slows the experience. I'd like a little help finding a distro that would work for a beginner like me. i do play some games from time to time, but nothing super intense, i could never handle that on this computer. Generally, i'd just need help finding a distro that looks nice out the box, (or with some light customization as i have no clue what i'm doing), is user friendly, and doesn't completely reject games all together. I only really use my laptop for youtube and discord, so that last one is not a necessity. Thanks so much to whoever replies

Last edited:

I'm a windows user since the day i was born, but computers are only getting faster and mine has started getting really cramped and slows the experience. I'd like a little help finding a distro that would work for a beginner like me. i do play some games from time to time, but nothing super intense, i could never handle that on this computer. Generally, i'd just need help finding a distro that looks nice out the box, (or with some light customization as i have no clue what i'm doing), is user friendly, and doesn't completely reject games all together. I only really use my laptop for youtube and discord, so that last one is not a necessity. Thanks so much to whoever replies
Since the Linux operating system is not an operating system for games, I do not recommend switching to Linux if you are going to play

As a Linux user, I can say that based on gaming performance, it is not possible to get higher FPS on Linux than Windows.

I think it will not be a good choice for a user who will use Linux for the first time in Debian's initial phase. Distributions such as Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Deepin, Kubuntu can be preferred.

You do not need to leave Windows - you can have both.

You could dual-boot. There you have Linux and Windows side by side and a small program to choose which one you are booting in to. You are only running one OS at a time, not two.

An alternative is to Virtualise. Here you have one OS running with the other OS inside. A bit heavier on memory.

There are other ways to try Linux without affecting your Hard Drive at all. Like using a Linux LiveCD ora USB. You can try Linux online at https://distrotest.net/

Games. You can use Wine, PlayOnLinux, Crossover Steam and Lutris

The best for newbies? Look at Linux Mint and Linux Lite.

Generally, look at https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ultimate-linux-guide-for-windows-users.html

Last edited:
I would go for Linux mint cinnamon or Ubuntu.
Then download wine so you can play windows games using it.
Also download a oracle virtual box and maybe play around with some other Linux distros or visit this great site

And this site lets you try Linux distros online

Members online

Latest posts